Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Chance me, please?

Raito23Raito23 Posts: 15Registered User New Member
Regular Decision
White Male
Public high school in Saint Louis, MO
Major: Political Science / History (possibly International Relations)
Superscored ACT: 35 (35E, 36R, 31M, 36S
GPA: 3.5 Unweighted, 3.8 Weighted (yeah...)
- Bad Sophmore year due to personal issues, shows upward trend (4.0s Junior year, 4.414 first semester Senior year)

Extracurriculars:
- 3 month summer internship at Organizing for America (20-30 hours a week)
- President of Gay-Straight Alliance
- Organizing Voter Registration drive & "Get out the Vote" campaign at my high school
- Member of National Honor Society
- Volunteer at church and day care
- A+ tutor (50 hours of peer tutoring by the end of the year)

Academic Honors:
- Special district recognition for 36 on science ACT (probably will get it for 36 on reading as well)
- "Glory of Missouri" award for Law

I visited the school and had an interview that I think went well. Do you think my GPA will destroy any chance I had at acceptance? I'm hoping my superscored ACT would be able to push me over the top.

Thanks!
Post edited by Raito23 on

Replies to: Chance me, please?

• mohojomohojo Posts: 49Registered User Junior Member
    No, I don't think your GPA will destroy your chances at all. Your 35 on the ACT is a clear demonstration of your academic capabilities. In addition, you also seem to be very well rounded and have many interesting extracurriculars.
    Good luck! I hope you get in!
  • AsianGingerAsianGinger Posts: 195Registered User Junior Member
    Yeah, I got in with an unweighted 3.4 and weighted 3.7, so GPA is DEFINITELY not the absolute one deciding factor

in general, most schools actually weigh course load as more important than transcript (my dad works for admissions at notre dame and apparently most colleges fill out a form where they say which aspects of an application are most important, important, least important, etc. and a lot of top schools put course load as "most important" and transcript as just "very important")