Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Effect of Applying for Financial Aid on Getting Accepted

billybob1235billybob1235 Posts: 2Registered User New Member
I know that Wash U is not need blind. However, I also know that their endowment is huge and much larger than other need-blind institutions. Does anyone know what the effect of applying for financial aid is? I would think that it is not huge since their endowment is so large, but since they're not need blind, it has to have some effect. I have shown a lot of interest in the school and have a 2140 SAT and 32 ACT.
Post edited by billybob1235 on

Replies to: Effect of Applying for Financial Aid on Getting Accepted

• onecot59onecot59 Posts: 427Registered User Member
    I don't think it has much effect. In prior year's post it was estimated that it might impact the final 1-2% accepted.

You posted just a few stats. Your GPA, course rigor, extras and hooks have a significant impact as well.
  • metsrule50metsrule50 Posts: 80Registered User Junior Member
    I've heard that about 8-10 percent of applicants are looked at in need-aware fashion. I don't get why a school with such a large endowment isn't need blind.
  • RyanMKRyanMK Posts: 788Registered User Member
    A lot of it has to do with the fact that they provide merit scholarships while many universities of similar caliber do not (or if they do, usually to a lesser extent).
  • synth204synth204 Posts: 46Registered User Junior Member
    While WashU is need-aware, it won't break your application if it's strong. Don't worry about it.