Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Discovery Weekend

pokm12pokm12 Posts: 247Registered User Junior Member
Anyone been invited yet? Do you guys know if this is still happening this year?
Post edited by pokm12 on

Replies to: Discovery Weekend

• marcdvlmarcdvl Posts: 1,315Registered User Senior Member
    Think invites are still some months away.
  • pokm12pokm12 Posts: 247Registered User Junior Member
    the weekend is usually at the end of next month... I got mine about this time last year...
    I'm thinking of multicultural weekend. Oh well.
  • Carla2012Carla2012 Posts: 263Registered User Junior Member
    My daughter just received an invite to the Discovery Weekend (which is thursday-friday so not really a weekend). I'd rather she didn't miss two days of school to do a college visit. Is Discovery weekend worth going to? or can she get a better visit when the campus is in its normal routine.
  • six360six360 Posts: 34Registered User Junior Member
    If you get Invited to Discovery Weekend, go. It's that simple. Even if you or your child (if you're a parent/guardian) ultimately choose not to come to WashU the experience is invaluable. Sometimes it's easier to know what you are looking for when you know what you don't want. I went to Discovery Weekend and loved it. Immediately afterwards, I went to Swarthmore's Disco Swat weekend and realized that WashU was the place for me. It's a fun time and a nice break from school!
  • commanderkeen42commanderkeen42 Posts: 261Registered User Junior Member
    I got my invitation today. Sounds pretty cool. I'm not sure what to make of it--it's reminiscent of other things I've gotten that give off that "scam" vibe, but I know this isn't a scam or anything. Just one of those "there's a catch" things. Or maybe I'm just paranoid. What should I make of it?
    No scam and there's no catch. Goal is to attract people to the school.
    who else is going?
  • emmerlyjemmerlyemmerlyjemmerly Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    I am! It sounds amazing. Washu is definitely my first choice! :) How about you guys?
    *sigh* I don't think I'll be able to go--it sounds so awesome and I'd love to be able to do it, but I just think it'll create a big dent in my schedule, as I've got a whole lot of stuff happening at that time and I don't want to fall behind in the mountain of work I'll have then.
  • maymay17maymay17 Posts: 62Registered User Junior Member
    What are the Discovery Weekend invitations based on, as in how do you get invited?
    For me, at least, it's just uncertain...I need to see what comes up in the future.
  • six360six360 Posts: 34Registered User Junior Member
    Discovery Weekend is good if you are interested in applying for university wide scholarships later on. A lot of how we identify students who might fit into our programs stem from observing them at Discovery Weekend. I would encourage everyone who is invited to accept, because it could easily be the most critical two days of your life if you are really interested in attending WashU
  • jvtDadjvtDad Posts: 658Registered User Member
    six360, you make it sound like you're an official with the university. Please don't. This, and other forums, are filled with impressionable 17 year old students. Don't make it authoritative ("we identify students..."). It's your personal opinion. You are just a frosh at WashU, after all ;)
  • Carla2012Carla2012 Posts: 263Registered User Junior Member
    I did wonder if six360 was connected to admissions because it was a really good point about merit scholarships. I find six360's posts very helpful.