Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How many classes per semester?

blackeyedsusanblackeyedsusan Posts: 2,392Registered User Senior Member
What is the typical number of classes an undergrad at Wash U takes per semester -- 4 or 5?
Post edited by blackeyedsusan on

Replies to: How many classes per semester?

• kjanebarnumkjanebarnum Posts: 394Registered User Member
    In my experience, the majority of students take five classes a semester, though it's not totally unusual for someone to take four. I graduated this past spring and took four classes my last semester so I only had classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
  • washupremedsvwashupremedsv Posts: 16Registered User New Member
    i, personally, took 4 first semester and 5 second semester (one course was pass/fail). However, I was also researching at the Med School for 8-10 hours a week both semesters, so I guess you can call that a class. Usually, freshman take 5 though. It also depends on credits and which classes you take too. For example, if you're taking 15 credits than you're fine even if you have 4 classes, and if you're taking 3 sciences or something, then you're good too with 4.
  • oncampusoncampus Posts: 335Registered User Member
    If you want to graduate in 4 years, and don't transfer in any credits, you'll need to earn 120 credits. Aside from some classes with labs, most classes are 3 credits, meaning that you'll need to take on average, 5 classes per semester to graduate in 4 years.
  • blackeyedsusanblackeyedsusan Posts: 2,392Registered User Senior Member
    Thanks for the responses. They were very helpful.