Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Visiting Without Campus Tour?

CloudCultCloudCult Posts: 36Registered User Junior Member
edited May 2010 in Wesleyan University
Hi. I was just taken off the wait-list and only have a week to decide whether to attend Wesleyan. My parents and I want to see the school before I make my final decision. However, this weekend is Memorial weekend and the Office of Admissions/Campus Tours aren't available. My parents can't take me during the week. Is it possible to visit campus when the Admissions Office is closed? I know I won't get an extremely accurate picture, but are visitors still welcome during holidays?
Post edited by CloudCult on

Replies to: Visiting Without Campus Tour?

• johnwesleyjohnwesley Posts: 4,610- Senior Member
    It will seem especially desolate since Commencement was just last weekend and it's not quite time for summer school; a lot of staff will be out of town in a last minute attempt to catch their breaths. My best recommendation would be to make sure you swing by O'Rourke's Diner on Main Street, a little north of Washington Street. The food is great and this is the time of year when Middletown is actually more lively and charming than Wesleyan.
  • madjoymadjoy Posts: 625Registered User Member
    You can go, but know that it really won't be an accurate picture of Wesleyan. It's way more lively during the year, and even during most parts of the summer there'll be a lot more going on than there will be this week (students doing summer research often haven't started yet, etc.)

Still, if you just want to see the physical campus itself, go for it. I love the campus itself, but after 4 awesome years there, I'm probably a little bit biased :D
  • WeskidWeskid Posts: 1,288Registered User Senior Member
    Yeah, there's no problem with visiting without the admissions office being open, but I agree with Mad+Johnwesley, you won't be able to get any sense of the campus vibe, because this is one of the most empty weeks for campus there is. However, it's probably worth it to go see the campus and figure out if you like it -- just remember to imagine tons of kids out on Foss Hill!

On the upside, if you do run into any students around, they are likely to be pretty free, so they might be willing to show you around!
  • nikeofsamothracenikeofsamothrace Posts: 145Registered User Junior Member
    Why don't you call the admissions office and ask for an extension? They would understand in your case, I think.