Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

3.2 GPA, what well-known schools can I get into?

ACTlikeSATACTlikeSAT Posts: 5Registered User New Member
edited December 2010 in What Are My Chances?
My freshmen and sophomore year gpas were poor (2.7, and 2.9) but my junior year was a (3.9).
My ACT is a 27.

I'm hoping that these factors might make me a good candidate, I've had 47 hours of volunteering at a hospital as well. I have no idea what schools I should apply too, I know realistically I have no chance at something where you need a 3.8 to get in but are there any prestigious schools I'd have a chance at?
Post edited by ACTlikeSAT on

Replies to: 3.2 GPA, what well-known schools can I get into?

• rodneyrodney Posts: 9,406Registered User Senior Member
    need more info; large v small, urban v rural v suburban, west, north, east, south? climate? AP's? honors?

a 3.2 and a 27 will be fine for many, many places....
  • shauna2015shauna2015 Posts: 64Registered User Junior Member
    What is your cumulative and weighted GPA? Any hooks? I need those things we refer to as STATS.
  • ACTlikeSATACTlikeSAT Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    I'd prefer...
    a large school to a medium sized. (at least 2,000 people), urban or suburban.
    Somewhere either in the West or the Northeast.

I just want somewhere that people will recognize the name when I say it. I know I can't be too choosy with my stats but a good school is what I'm hoping to find.

3.2 cumulative gpa (we don't do unweighted/weighted). I think my hook is that I turned around my grades for junior year and I know I have strong recs.
  • cendrillioncendrillion Posts: 137Registered User Junior Member
    OU. Great school, will get you lots of jobs when you graduate. Great undergrad name, I'm sure you can get in! Good luck!
  • AnalginAnalgin Posts: 512Registered User Member
    Check out your state school. I bet we all heard of it.
  • 2college2college2college2college Posts: 1,523- Senior Member
    What do you want to study? What can your family pay per year?
  • ACTlikeSATACTlikeSAT Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    I'll check out OU! thanks!

I'm undecided about what I want to study, and as long as the tuition isn't 40,000 per year it's all doable.
  • cendrillioncendrillion Posts: 137Registered User Junior Member
    Yeah, no problem!

They're about 11,000 dollars out-of-state, less if you have any relatives that go there. It's very cheap.

I'm not really sure why it's so easy to get into--it's a very good school with a good name, it's getting better each year.

Personally, I'm not applying there because my dad lives about twenty minutes away, but I wish I could. A lot of people from my school in the top ten go there, so do people with 3.0 GPAs. It's a large school, in a good town. Oklahoma as a whole isn't the most fun state, but I've heard from many that the town is fun!

It's like UT--same programs, just a little different. You can get a job most anywhere in the South, you have a lot of contacts.

The whole Red River Rivalry thing is fun, too. I live in Texas, OU vs UT? It's one of the biggest football games of the year!
  • psilovethomaspsilovethomas Posts: 355Registered User Member
    Michigan State
  • rosyhoursrosyhours Posts: 236Registered User Junior Member
    try Syracuse University or Fordham University. Both are very well-known in the Northeast. Also I wouldn't cross a school off the list just because its tuition is high. A lot of those expensive schools give fantastic financial aid (where cheaper public schools can't afford to give much aid..)

check out this list for more ideas:
    A+ Options for B Students: National Universities - Best Colleges - Education - US News