Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

SAT=1770. Can I get into these schools?

joanna130joanna130 Posts: 61Registered User Junior Member
edited January 2006 in What Are My Chances?
Schools I'm applying to:
-UNC-Chapel Hill (Early Action...find out 1/31)
-University of Southern California
-Carnegie Mellon University
-American University
-Georgetown University
-University of San Diego (Early Action....find out 1/31)
-George Washington University
-Rhodes College
-Denison University (Dad went there)
-Loyola University at Chicago

White, Female, transfer student (I started at my new school as a junior), went to 2 great private schools, now I'm a CA resident

Reason for transfer: My dad's job relocated him

GPA:
unweighted 3.7
weighted 3.9

SAT reasoning (yuck, i'm a bad test taker):
math 540
verbal 640
writing 590
essay:10

SAT II:
biology: 620

AP SCORES:
english-4
bio-2

Interviews and Recommendations are great! (thank god)

extracurriculars:
senior class president 12
jv swimming 9-10
science club 9,10,11,12
Musical Theater 10,11,12
Amnesty International Coordinator 11,12
Human Relations Council 10

Awards:
National Honor Society (2005-2006)
California Semi-Finalist for Drama Festival (2005)
National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine UCLA Debate Winner (2005) National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine Poster Session Finalist (2005) Notre Dame Academy Second Academic Honors (2005)
Notre Dame Academy Second Academic Honors (2004)
Nominated for the Heart of Mercy Award (2004)
California Semi-Finalist for Drama Festival (2004)
State of Michigan Poetry Contest: Editor’s Choice Award (2003)
National Biology Award (2002)

community service:
elementary school tutor for 200+ hours 9,10
aid at an assisted living home 11, 12 (still happening)

So please be a dear and tell me what you think will become of me! What are my reaches/good matches/safeties?

Thank you, I really appreciate your help!
Post edited by joanna130 on

Replies to: SAT=1770. Can I get into these schools?

• joanna130joanna130 Posts: 61Registered User Junior Member
  • habdragon08habdragon08 Posts: 569- Member
    your dads job relocated him, so your applying to schools all over the country???

-UNC-Chapel Hill - no chance
    -University of Southern California - reach
    -Carnegie Mellon University - reach
    -American University - match
    -Georgetown University - major reach
    -George Washington University -match

sont now the others sorry
  • uvajackuvajack Posts: 1,376Registered User Senior Member
    If you are a "bad test taker" how do you have you made A's? Don't you have to take tests in most classes?
  • itstoomuchitstoomuch Posts: 1,745. Senior Member
    Joanna130; I very rarely read and have never posted in this section. You also probably discovered that very few parents (myself) post here. College selection and admissions is not an precise numbers game but more of an attitude. No parent is going to predict which college is right or wrong or which will admit or reject. The best anyone can do is look at the statistics; But by comparing yourself to the statistic also says that standard diviation can virtually give anyone a chance.

Take some time in parent's forum. I believe that attitude and recommendations have far more weight than test numbers. When and if you go to college, no one will care what HS you attended. When you get out of college, no one will care what college you went to nor your grades. They will care about how you feel about yourself, about other people, and the future.

Good Luck. Because that is what it is.
  • xindianxxindianx Posts: 917Registered User Member
    Well said itstoomuch, but in terms of a good judgement of your chances, I think habdragon has it down, except I would never say 'no chance'...again scores aren't everything.
  • flskyflsky Posts: 83Registered User Junior Member
    UNC-Chapel Hill (Early Action...find out 1/31) SUPER REACH
    -University of Southern California REACH
    -Carnegie Mellon University SUPER REACH
    -American University MATCH
    -Georgetown University SUPER REACH
    -University of San Diego (Early Action....find out 1/31) REACH
    -George Washington University MATCH/REACH
    -Rhodes College SAFETY
    -Denison University (Dad went there) MATCH/SAFETY
    -Loyola University at Chicago MATCH
  • chocolateluvr88chocolateluvr88 Posts: 827Registered User Member
    I agree with flsky's predictions.
    UVAJOE, that's a really good question. i don't exactly know y i've got such low SAT scores AND good grades. From what I understand, the SAT doesn't measure intellegence, it doesn't even legally stand for Standard Aptitude Test anymore. Thus, the test scores I take at school (which do measure intellegence) vary from my SAT scores.

ITSTOOMUCH, thank you! The comment was a wonderful reminder that scores aren't everything and I'll take your advice. :)

Everyone else, thank you very much. I love getting your opinions on these things :) Keep em' comin!
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 38,361Registered User Senior Member
    >>-University of San Diego (Early Action....find out 1/31) REACH>>

Well...if it's a reach for you, it's also a reach for my D. Her CR was 580, Math 650, Class rank 8/194, GPA w3.87, GPAuw 3.65. Actually I believe this school is a match for my daughter and I think it is a match for you too.
    thanks thumpers, i hope that it is!
  • andrw313andrw313 Posts: 701Registered User Member
    Joanna SAT measures intelligence. School just measures how much you study. You are just being biased cuz you have bad test scores. Face it, you lack the comprehension to do well on tests, that is an intellectual detriment.
  • KRabble88KRabble88 Posts: 1,991Registered User Senior Member
    Joanna SAT measures intelligence. School just measures how much you study. You are just being biased cuz you have bad test scores. Face it, you lack the comprehension to do well on tests, that is an intellectual detriment.

Needless to say, that's arguable. You are assuming the SAT is the be all and end all. It may be "standardized" but it's far from perfect, and I think we all know that. The SAT is not a rigid utilization to measure intelligence, and the fact that many can "cram" information and coach to the test proves just that.

However, the SAT was comparable to an IQ test back in the day, and it is safe to say that from the changes it had undergone, it is a more fair test but still not as fair as it could be.