Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

IQ over 160 what school?

j6ma9lj6ma9l Posts: 121Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2012 in What Are My Chances?
is there anyone here with an IQ of 160 thats been verified by a pretty legit test?
and if so what school do u think is the best for people with IQs over 160?
IQ 160 (15 SD) rarity of 1 in 31560

I will chance you back I promise
Post edited by j6ma9l on

Replies to: IQ over 160 what school?

• stewfoo412stewfoo412 Posts: 274Registered User Junior Member
    You should know the answers to this question.. its not that hard to find out the nations best schools.
  • WhartoniiteWhartoniite Posts: 30Registered User Junior Member
    I have a 159 verified by Woodcock-Johnson. IQ doesn't mean anything, its just a measure of your cognitive abilities and doesn't take into account savants. What are your stats? You can have a 190 IQ and not have accomplished anything.
  • bllbb6bllbb6 Posts: 157Registered User Junior Member
    Yes, I agree, IQ tests are becoming less popular because they are just measures of cognotive abilities and abstract thinking. Just because someone has a higher IQ, doest mean he is smarter than the person with a lower. A lot of perceived intelligence comes from effort and hard work. The people who learn and enjoy learning are the ones who accomplish things, not someone with just a high IQ.
  • ryuriar21ryuriar21 Posts: 29Registered User New Member
    I think the op is just trying to boast about his IQ. What a loser.

Sent from my MB508 using CC
  • intparentintparent Posts: 11,995Registered User Senior Member
    Just having a high IQ is not a guarantee of acceptance, it depends on whether you have kept your grades up, participated in extra curricular activities, and have done well on SAT/ACT. And money can be a factor, of course.

A lot depends on what you want to study, and whether you want to be at a larger university or liberal arts college. A couple of schools that have a more intellectual bent, and attract very high IQ students are Swarthmore and University of Chicago. But both are expensive and offer very little merit adi.
  • theenlightenedtheenlightened Posts: 18Registered User New Member
    How can a guy with a 160 IQ not know what schools smart people go to... And i really don't think that there's anyway to measure one's IQ. The range of the mind's abilities are too great for any one single test to measure
  • UDUBHUSKIESUDUBHUSKIES Posts: 751Registered User Member
    No one takes IQ into account, I can tell you that. If that's all you have, the admissions committee will laugh as they throw your app into the rejection pile.
  • barrk123barrk123 Posts: 3,455Registered User Senior Member
    What is your GPA UW
    What is your class rank
    What state are you in
    What is your ACT/SAT
  • j6ma9lj6ma9l Posts: 121Registered User Junior Member
    It was not really a boasting exercise but a curiosity
    I am not a loser at all...far from it
    and no its not that obvious because SAT/ACT are only moderately correlated to IQ the math section has the highest correlation
    this question was asked because I am wondering whether
    Stanford Harvard Columbia Yale Princeton or MIT
    has the highest average IQ
    I would guess MAT because they have by far the highest math score range and math is most important part of SAT

my SAT score was 2380
    ACT:35 (but really pretty much a 36 because I scored a 36 on each section besides the reading where I scored a 33 so a 35.25 average which is just .25 below the 35.5 cut off
    class rank: 9/27
    GPA in high school: 3.54 (2.7 first year and a half 3.96 last 2 and half years)
    GPA in college: 3.72
    states: Colorado and California

but yeah this is primarily about which school values intelligence above all else
    and which school has the smartest people and smartest professors

my overall WAIS-III score was 158 but I got a perfect on Vocabulary, Similarities, Arithmetic, Matrix Reasoning, Knowledge and Comprehension

my Stanford-Binet was 162
    I recently took two high-ceiling math sequence IQ tests
    172 and 175

but yeah I really think IQ is an outdated measure
    and is really imperfect and can be used to justify racism
    and I think some sections are pretty useless like the one where you try to recognize what is wrong with a picture, the one where you try and organize pictures into a story sequence and measures which stress processing speed over ability to make conceptual leaps

but yeah I am curious what school is the smartest
    a 159 on the woodcock johnson is the highest I ever heard
    congrats you should be proud
    Yeah I wouldn't think of putting my IQ on a college application
    but quite honestly the obsession about SAT scores at Ivy League schools t
    indicates they do not laugh about people with very high intelligence
    and quite frankly even if you did put it on resume it would probably not hurt your chances if it was really high
    but yeah high IQ people sometimes do not accomplish much
    because they sometimes get depressed and alienated
    and depressed about what the perceive as the futility of the human endeavor
    some geniuses often turn to drugs
    because they perceive hedonism as a logical path
  • SonicCareSonicCare Posts: 349Registered User Member
    I have 50 iq and am 5/700 in my high school class. Am I smart enough for you?
  • devrybounddevrybound Posts: 144Registered User Junior Member
    Actually, the only correlation between IQ and SAT is with the reading comprehension questions. SAT math is a joke.. I had many 8th grade friends scoring 800 on it. SAT writing involves only knowing a few grammar rules and reading a lot of books to pull examples out of. Reading comprehension is where the logical thinking comes in, especially with the inference questions. That's why reading comprehension is so hard to improve, just like improving your IQ.
  • texaspgtexaspg Posts: 13,366Super Moderator Senior Member
    Schools don't admit based on IQs. Home sounds best.
    yeah devrybound the SAT math is ridiculously easy I could finish a section 8-10 minutes in
    but my beef with the critical reading
    is a lot of the questions are not a matter of fact
    there are some questions which subjectively might be right to some people but the answer might be different for others
    I think reading comprehension is flawed
    some questions are much more IQ geared than others on critical reading
    Soniccare idk but I guarantee your IQ is over 120
    I dont really discriminate based on IQ
    if your in the top 1% of your class
    chances are your IQ is in the top 1% of the population (135 or higher)
    but yeah thats just my take on it
  • barrk123barrk123 Posts: 3,455Registered User Senior Member
    ^ not true there are plenty of highschools where a 3.3 gpa puts you into the top 1% and the average SAT score is a 1400 (CR+W+M)