Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. Get your free copy of the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook and get helpful advice on how to choose a college, get in, and pay for it: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM
OkokokokOkokokok Posts: 92Registered User Junior Member
edited January 2013 in What Are My Chances?
Schools I'm going to apply to:
Umcp
Umbc
Towson
Notre dame of md (?)
Hood
McDaniel
Washington Adventist
Johns Hopkins

Unweighted gpa: 3.73
Weighted gpa: 4.27

Ap classes:
Chemistry
Government
Spanish Lang
Spanish literature
Biology
Physics
Lang & comp
Calc ab

Low sat: 1670 math 590 reading 550 writing 530
I'm planning on taking the sat once more and the act for the first time
I'm a senior right now

Mexican American female
Living under poverty line ($15,000~/yr) ?

I haven't really done any ecs but I have join honor societies ? Spanish honor society, science honor society, national honor society

I have done the young scholars program for 2 years at umcp with full scholarships

The reason I haven't done any ecs is because my sister has severe cerebral palsy and I have to get home to take care of her so that my mother can go run errands (single parent). I also had a bad start freshman year because of my skin condition. I had a terrible staph infection on my face but I still went to school because I didn't know what it was, so it lasted more than half the school year.

Please chance me
Post edited by Okokokok on

Replies to: Chance me

• OkokokokOkokokok Posts: 92Registered User Junior Member
    Please can someone respond?
  • WordworkerWordworker Posts: 869Registered User Member
    Does the young scholar program give you advising and help with college applications? Have you applied to Questbridge or Posse Foundation? Is there an EOP program or a state scholarship for good students?

Given your sister's situation, can you live away from home?
  • ZLittle94ZLittle94 Posts: 63Registered User Junior Member
    John Hopkins and Notre Dame are a long shot right now, but since your situation they might make a exception. Everywhere else your good. If you raise your scores to like 27-28 ACT or Sat equivalent, then you should have a great shot to all of them.
    No, the young scholars program allows you to take summer courses for college credit. I applied to QuestBridge in junior year for the scholarship match, but I didn't get it. That would have helped with college apps and advising. I was invited to apply to QuestBridge again for the college match, but I don't think it's worth applying because there are people with better stats than I have, and I probably won't get matched. I found this grant that says it will cover the rest of the cost of a Maryland college. So I have to get the pell grant and pay the efc, which I think will be close to 0.
    I think I'll be able to live away from home. It's just that my brother has to help more, and my mother can't go out for too long or she has to depend on metroaccess more.
    I thought notre dame of md would be a safety school because it's not the one in Indiana it's the one in Maryland (the one women's college?)
    Anymore chancers?
  • cchlloecchlloe Posts: 128Registered User Junior Member
    I think you're good for all of them except Johns Hopkins. Raise your SAT to at least a 2000 and your ACT to a 30-31 and you'll have a better shot at JHU
    Should I apply for the QuestBridge scholarship?
    Any advice?
  • MotheshowMotheshow Posts: 78Registered User Junior Member
    Johns Hopkins is a reach. i would say a 1900 SAT score will give you a good chance.
    Your URM and female status will help well depends on what you want to study.
    Essays need to be amazing. If you have had any hardships, express them.
    Will students who pay out of state tuition but live in the state still be eligible for financial aid from that school? For example, student is a u.s. citizen and a resident of that state, but parents are not citizens... if that makes sense.
    Please reply. I really need to know.
  • ZLittle94ZLittle94 Posts: 63Registered User Junior Member
    Can you elaborate on what you mean? Do you mean would you still qualify scholarships from that specific school-yes you do.
    I heard state schools (not private schools) don't give financial aid to out of state applicants. I live in state, but have to pay out of state tuition. Will colleges think I'm an out of state applicant and, thus, not offer me any financial aid?
    Could anyone suggest any schools I should consider?
    Bump10char...
    My SAT score is now 1820
    Does that increase my chances to the schools I've mentioned? I'm also applying to GW and Catholic university. Are my chances better?

Please reply