Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Need a reach school or two! Any ideas?

adviceIneedadviceIneed Posts: 107Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in What Are My Chances?
Im in a small NY town, in the thick of my senior year and I know where my top school is (BU), I know a few other schools I want to go to (Fordham, American) and I have a few safeties.

I have 7 schools and everyone keeps telling me thats not enough, so I was wondering if someone could recommend another good school that they think I should apply to and can get in to...

General Stats:
-3.6 UW GPA on a 4.0 Scale

-1820 SAT

-6 AP's, 4 Honors Courses

-Over 400 Hours Of Community Service

-President of one club for 3 years, member of a few including National Honor Society

-AP Scholar Award

-Dont mean to sound like a jerk but my essay is pretty damn good, original, creative, and all that jazz.

Im generally leaning towards pursuing a business-related career so maybe a school that has a good business program, although i'm not going to exclude any schools if they dont meet that standard because i'm not certain on that yet.

Im not that picky in terms of size. Id like to go to a school in a more urban environment but its not a big deal if I don't. Id also like to generally stay in the Northeastern general area, but id probably be willing to go as far down south as the Carolinas.

BU is my top school, but I think its more of a match than a reach. Also applying to:

American
Fordham
Bing
Geneseo
UCONN
Elon
Maybe Loyola Maryland...
Post edited by adviceIneed on

Replies to: Need a reach school or two! Any ideas?

• SikorskySikorsky Posts: 5,851Registered User Senior Member
    Need a reach school or two!

I disagree with the very premise of the question, actually. Nobody needs a reach.

You really ought to have safeties, and you probably ought to have some matches. Beyond a couple of those, everything else is optional.

Do you have more than one university on your list that you believe--based on actual research, and not just some kind of intuitive sense-- meets all of the following criteria?

1. You're pretty sure you can get in.
    2. Your family is pretty sure they can afford to send you there.
    3. You're pretty sure you can be academically successful there.
    4. You're pretty sure you'd like it there.

If you have more than one such university on the list, you don't have to expand it unless you find a college or university that's even more appealing than the ones on it.

Of course there's no reason for you not to keep shopping for another college or university that you'll like even better than what's on your list. But given that I know nothing about business or schools of business, I don't have anything to suggest.
  • ArtsyGirl13ArtsyGirl13 Posts: 2,971Registered User Senior Member
    I completely agree with Sikorsky, nobody needs reaches, on the contrary people would be a lot happier/less disappointed if they found schools that they were in love with that were not reaches. If your first choice is a match and you have a few more matches and safeties you are good to go!
  • pinklemonadeNEpinklemonadeNE Posts: 56Registered User Junior Member
    Boston College? Definitely a reach but if that is what you are looking for..
  • oohtobeagooneroohtobeagooner Posts: 611- Member
    I'd suggest NYU