Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Chances Stanford, Columbia, USC....

ExhaustedDadExhaustedDad Posts: 184Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in What Are My Chances?
4.67 Weighted 4.0 Unweighted GPA
32 on ACT and 2150 on SAT
Took all AP's offered plus honors classes if available (highest possible rigor)
Scored 5 on AP Bio and AP Lit test and projected 5 on AP Chem and AP Calculus test
#1 in class and will be Valedictorian (small Christian school, 80 in senior class)
Lots of EC's including Captain of Volleyball Team (+ years of Club VB), NHS President, 500 Hours of volunteer work, President of Choir, Worship Team member (10 years of piano), 6 out-of-country missions trips, etc....

Applying to the following schools with an emphasis on Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineering:

Stanford, Columbia, USC, UCLA, UCSD, UC Davis, Santa Clara, Cal Poly SLO
Post edited by ExhaustedDad on

Replies to: Chances Stanford, Columbia, USC....

• DarthpwnerDarthpwner Posts: 998Registered User Member
    Strong applicant, you are in at USC, UCLA, UCSD, UC Davis, Santa Clara, and Cal Poly SLO. Hard to say for Stanford and Columbia.
  • ExhaustedDadExhaustedDad Posts: 184Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks for the response. Kinda what I figured but wasn't sure how much of a "reach" either Stanford or Columbia was since they seem to take the EC's into strong consideration (or at least say they do??).
  • ExhaustedDadExhaustedDad Posts: 184Registered User Junior Member
  • HateSMUSHateSMUS Posts: 470Registered User Member
    They certainly consider ECs as well. I don't see any outstanding or very unique EC in your ECs. But I've seen lot of students who got into Stanford or Columbia with special ECs. Sometimes, they just got in only with their solid scores, (2250+SAT1, 3.9~4.0 GPA, etc) since the admission process is very complicated and often random (no wonder y ppl say it's a crapshoot). For Stanford and Columbia, I think you need to improve your Standardized test scores to be the very competitive applicants. Since your ECs are not outstanding, perhaps average, I would suggest focusing on improving your stats.