Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What are my chances?

benpoobenpoo Posts: 18Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in What Are My Chances?
I recently scored 2110 on my SAT's.
Top 1% of my class.
Lots of extra curriculars (volunteering, music)
6 AP exams.

What are my chances at Ivies? How about Chicago, Pomona, or Stanford? Any advice would help.
Post edited by benpoo on

Replies to: What are my chances?

• CollegiateDreamsCollegiateDreams Posts: 980Registered User Member
    Can you provide some more information? (Gender, race, state, high school type, intended major, any hooks, GPA, SAT subject test scores, awards/honors, leadership, etc)

It would also be helpful if you were more specific about the information you provided, specifically more details about your ECs and SAT score break-up by section.
  • benpoobenpoo Posts: 18Registered User New Member
    Sure thing.
    Male, Chinese Canadian.
    Public school, intended major chemistry or biology
    Subject tests: Just took the November, but probably around 780 Math II, and 800 Chemistry.
    Sat: Math: 800 Reading: 650 Writing: 660 (I'm re writing in Decemeber, hope to score in the 700's for reading and writing.)
    GPA. 4.0
    Awards: Top Studnet in grade 9, top science student in grade 10, top math student in grade 9&11, top english student in grade 10
    President of Math tutorial club
    Treasurer of Music Council
    Lead children's program at church
    Played on the Badminton team for two years
    Part of the humanitarian club for 3 years

One more thing is that I would need financial aid. Would that greatly lower my chances?
    bump.. someone help!
  • ArtsyGirl13ArtsyGirl13 Posts: 2,969Registered User Senior Member
    The biggest issue I see is your ECs, they don't stand out (which is not a good thing when the schools on your list are so competitive), they are rather average and show a lack of commitment to any one thing. You are asian which will hurt you since it makes you and ORM. So basically I would call all those top schools reaches. Yes, your grades/rank are high enough and your SAT is a little bit lower then what you would want it to be, but it is a strong score. Like I said, you simply don't stand out, that combined with being an ORM will make it tough for you to get in. Most applicants these schools receive have the same grades and scores. Do you have any safeties?
    Haha well that's unfortunate....anybody else have an opinion?

My safeties are just my local schools. I can only go to an American school if I have enough financial aid, but only these top schools offer financial aid to international students :P
  • alexissssalexissss Posts: 2,177Registered User Senior Member
    High match for Uchi, Imo. Ivies are always reaches. Apply and see?
    thanks, I will do that!