Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Can I get into Columbia Early Decision

UChicagoHopefullUChicagoHopefull Posts: 39Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in What Are My Chances?
I applied ED to Columbia and I was wondering how realistic my chances are of getting in.

Stats: SAT 2350 (800 CR, 780 M, 770 W)
SAT IIs: 720 English Literature, 730 US History, 700 Bio
APs; US History- 5, English-4

GPA: 3.65 (Unweighted) and I took nearly all honors and AP courses

Extra Currics: Varsity Baseball
Model UN
School Newspaper (editor in chief)
220 hours of community service
Debate Team

Please be honest- if you don't think I have a shot just say so.
Post edited by UChicagoHopefull on

Replies to: Can I get into Columbia Early Decision

• cloebercloeber Posts: 14Registered User New Member
    You have a very good chance in terms of your grades. Do you have anymore ec's? They need to see that you have something extra to offer than just good grades
  • UChicagoHopefullUChicagoHopefull Posts: 39Registered User Junior Member
    Nope those are all the ECs I have. I'm worried that my ECs aren't unique enough and that there aren't enough of them. I feel like most of the kids at Columbia and other top Ivys have done really special things with their ECs in addition to having really solid gpas and SATs.
  • BlaxpaxBlaxpax Posts: 48Registered User Junior Member
    Your grades and workload are fine, same with the standardized tests. You seem to have a good shot but it'd be better if you gave us some more info on your EC's. Don't worry about having bland clubs, all that matters is if you got some substance out of it (leadership roles, accomplishments, etc). Good luck!
    Well I am one of the captains of the baseball team and I have a major role in Debate Team though I'm not the head of it. I'm also the copy editor of our school newspaper but I'm still a tier below the editors in chief. The community service mainly consists of working at one of the Boys and Girls Clubs in New York. For those of you who don't know what these are- they're clubs for underprivileged kids to hang out at and get help with homework etc. They're meant to serve as safe havens for kids with bad home lives. Does this provide more clarity about my ECs? Thanks to everyone who is responding!
  • BlaxpaxBlaxpax Posts: 48Registered User Junior Member
    Well you have a leadership/major role in every club you're a part of, which is good. Overall, I think you've got a decent shot, especially with ED. How many AP's in total did you take?
    I only took those two APs. C'mon people lets get some more people posting on this thread. I am really nervous and unsure about my chances and it would really help to get some more opinions!!
  • 2015Columbia2015Columbia Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    ECs aren't outstanding. I had leadership positions in all 5 clubs I was in (plus of course awards, etc). Also, you only took 2 APs. Most people apply with 6 APs taken. Did your school only offer those?

Your SAT is great, but your GPA should be at least a 3.8 (unweighted of course) for Columbia. I remember I had a 3.80 and I was very nervous because of my GPA. I felt I was borderline.

I hate putting a number on chances, but honestly yours are a little higher than most applicants but not much. I'd say 10-20%.