Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Chance me for Penn, Stanford, Notre Dame, and others

rocnation951rocnation951 Posts: 240Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in What Are My Chances?
Don't be afraid to be brutally honest.

I am Asian (bummer), I live in Southern California (another bummer), and I attend a large public school (2000+ students). My mom doesn't work and my dad is a businessman who makes $250,000+ a year.

GPA:
- 4.7 weighted GPA (rank 12 out of 662)
- 3.9 unweighted GPA

SAT I:
- 2240 taken only once (720 critical reading, 750 math, 770 writing)

PSAT:
- 220 (National Merit Semifinalist and pending)

SAT IIs:
- 790 on Math II
- 760 on US History

AP Tests:
- 3 on World History
- 4 on US History
- 4 on Environmental Science
- 4 on Psychology
- 5 on Language and Composition

(taking 5 more my senior year: Calc AB, Gov and Econ, Lit, Statistics, and Physics)

Sports:
- 2 years on Varsity Golf
- 1 year on JV Track and Field (100 meter dash) won 6 of 8 regular season meets and qualified for CIF Prelims

Extracurriculars and awards:
- 1st place for Public Speaking I at FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) Inland Conference
- 1st place at Science and Engineering Fair for RIMS County
- Founded the Centennial Investment Club at my high school
- Student of the Semester (nominated by teachers and administrators for outstanding performance outside and inside the classroom)
- Yale Science & Engineering Association, Inc. 2012 recipient for Most Outstanding Eleventh Grade Exhibit
- Kukkiwon Certified 1st degree black belt
- Organized soup drives to homeless areas (Skid Row) in Los Angeles. Paid for by fundraiser and donations.
- Organized missionary trips to Mexico. Brought food, water, and clothes to a drug shelter in Tijuana. Brought food, water, toys, and clothes to an orphanage in Mexicali.
- Interned (unpaid) at State Assemblyman's office over summer (over 100 hours)
- Shadowed the CEO of an Inc 500 company (500 fastest growing private companies) on his business trip to China and Korea.

Based on the information I have provided, please chance me for the following universities:

- University of Pennsylvania: Wharton (Early Decision)
- University of Chicago (Early Action)
- University of Notre Dame: Mendoza (Early Action)

- UC Berkeley
- Northwestern University
- Cornell: Dyson
- Harvard
- Stanford
- Yale
- UCLA
- UCSD
- USC: Marshall
- Brown
- Columbia

If it matters, I will be applying to the undergraduate business schools. If the school doesn't have one, I will be applying for the economics major.

If you have any questions or would like a chance back, just let me know.
Thanks!
Post edited by rocnation951 on

Replies to: Chance me for Penn, Stanford, Notre Dame, and others

• CatriaCatria Posts: 9,664Registered User Senior Member
    UPenn Wharton: Reach
    U Chicago: Reach (pay attention to your essays)
    UND: High match (reach if RD)
    UCB Haas: Match
    UCLA: Match
    NWU: Reach
    Cornell: Low reach
    Harvard: Reach
    Stanford: Reach
    Yale: Reach
    Brown: Reach
    Columbia: Reach

Try U Toronto Rothman... easier to get into than UCB Haas! U Toronto Rothman is a safety given that file.
  • guyinblueguyinblue Posts: 409Registered User Member
    HYS and UPenn - Reaches.
    Cornell and Brown - Low Reach.
    Academically youre sound, and fine EC-wise, so it actually will boil down to your essays since you will have to get yourself across to them and present yourself as a "atypical" Asian.
    If youre successful in doing that, you have decent shots!
    All the best mate! :)

Chance back?
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1411650-chance-indian-hypd-cornell-mit-will-chance-back.html
  • par72par72 Posts: 3,707Registered User Senior Member
    might look at some east coast lac's with strong alumni networks in business. holy cross in massachusetts has great tradition of placing grads in leadership positions on wall street and ceo's. the hc website is very informative.
  • rocnation951rocnation951 Posts: 240Registered User Junior Member
    Bump 10char
    Babson College is your new safety then.
  • texaspgtexaspg Posts: 13,055Super Moderator Senior Member
    Asian - reasonable shot at Notre Dame.
    I was considering Babson but I heard they are only good for entrepreneurship.
  • bgmargatebgmargate Posts: 156- Junior Member
    Are you a senior?? If yes than why haven't you taken SAT again? You have a good chance @ Penn etc but would improve chances w/ higher SAT score.
    Villanova, U Texas aren't options for you?
    I never considered Villanova. Utexas was but it has a separate application from the common app so idk if I want to go through all that trouble.
    I am a senior. I didn't retake the SAT because I didn't think I needed to. Most people told me to focus on other aspects since my SAT was in the 2200 range.
  • bgmargatebgmargate Posts: 156- Junior Member
    Not taking it a 2nd time to try and increase a 2240 is a HUGE mistake. It could hurt your chances of admission and scholarship opportunities. You should sign up for december test NOW!!!!
    Bump10char
  • LoncriaLoncria Posts: 338Registered User Member
    About what bgmargate said, you'll probably get more out of your time if you spent the time you would normally do prepping for the SAT test on improving the flow and substance of your essays and the portrayal of your character/ambitions on your application. When I interviewed at one of the privates I applied to, the interviewer told me straight out that he was far more impressed about my passion for my chosen major (engineering) than he would ever be with just my raw stats.
  • corrinder94corrinder94 Posts: 189Registered User Junior Member
    not a bad chance at cornell