Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Chances for Grinnell, Whitman, Colorado College. I will rate back!

thirrdplanetthirrdplanet Posts: 674Registered User Member
edited November 2012 in What Are My Chances?
I am applying to others as well but I am fairly likely to get in.

GPA: 3.89 UW 4.09 W
(I also took math and spanish at my high school in 8th grade that are included on my transcript)
Rank: Top 5% Weighted. Around 15% unweighted I think?? My school is a large fairly competitive public school.
ACT: 29 on two separate occasions. Super scored a 31. Waiting for results back from october one but doubtful they will be better. Counselor is addressing this as I have ADHD.

Slightly alternative senior year: I am taking a class at Reed College that takes up a lot of my time. The program is very hard to get into as a high schooler. I am taking a college class, with the same rigor everyone expects of Reed. Besides that I have AP English, Ap Stat, Ap art, symphonic band, and elementary helper (working with first graders at nearby school).
I am afraid colleges will look at this as a weak schedule even though it is way more rigorous than taking all APs would be in my opinion. When I did my interviews for these schools, both Grinnell and Whitman said it was excellent and wouldn't hurt me. CC guy seemed impressed but didn't fully understand why I didn't have more classes.

ECs: 2 sport varsity athlete: lacrosse and soccer. I was a captain for soccer this year and I have league recognition. I was an all american for lacrosse last year. I have had my photographs displayed at many local galleries. I lead drum line and started a percussion ensemble. My main service one is working for an organization to teach ecology and environmental science to 6th graders. I also volunteer at an arts kids camp. I was an exchange student for a month this summer and got a 4 on the AP exam sophomore year.

Letters of rec: Most likely great from my chem and art teacher.

Financial aid: Going to need quite a bit. Could hurt chances at CC. Last year our EFC was 16k or so when my sister first entered college. Probably even going down for this year and also two kids in school.

Essay: On getting diagnosed with an autoimmune disease. hopefully unique although I am struggling with the ending

Extra info: White, female, obviously from Portland. Applying EA to CC and regular to the others. Interviewed in OR for all three. Haven't visited any but will be visiting Whitman before I apply.

Thanks and I will rate you also!
Post edited by thirrdplanet on

Replies to: Chances for Grinnell, Whitman, Colorado College. I will rate back!