Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Chance me (Fairly low test scores, decent everything else)

jeey42jeey42 Posts: 36Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in What Are My Chances?
SAT (Round 3): 1960: (630 CR, 650 M, 680 W)
Subject Tests: US History (710)
ACT: I don't want to talk about it... ha.
AP: US History (5), Psychology (5), English Language (4), World History (3)

GPA: Cumulative 3.7 UW
Freshman Year: 3.5 GPA
A's in: Pre-IB World History, Digital Arts, Speech, Pre-IB Inquiry Skills
B's in: Pre-IB English, Pre-IB Biology, Pre-IB Geometry, Pre-IB Spanish 1
Sophomore Year: 3.86 GPA
A's in: AP World History, Honors Algebra 2, Culinary 1/2, Spanish 2, Guitar, Honors English 2
B in: Honors Chemistry
Junior Year: 3.86 GPA
A's in: AP Psychology, Honors Pre-Calc, AP US History, AP English Language, Honors Spanish 4, PE/Health
B in: Honors Physics
Senior Year Courses in Progress/ Current Grades
A's in: Honors Spanish 4, AP US Government, AP Macroeconomics, AP Biology, Honors Anatomy, Honors English 4
B's in: AP Physics B, AP Calculus AB
Extracurriculars:
- Church Volunteer: Greeted from 9th to 12th grade, Attend youth group weekly. Mentor to the middle school youth group. Play guitar at middle school youth group.
- Class Cabinet: Lobby interests of the Class of '13 to SGA. Many little things I could mention, however the biggest is granting students the access to recycling bins at school.
- Science Honor Society: As treasurer, I budgeted for an increase research projects.
- Campaign for Mayor of my City: 3 months. Answered questions, assisted in content of flyers, worked with the mayor himself!
- Young Democrats: Regular meetings all throughout high school, but campaigned for several months before the 2012 election. Woo Obama! Also, local races. But I was always big on supporting gay rights.
- Job as an Office Assistant: Office Assistant over Summer 2012 This one's really not too glamorous, and I don't know how to make it sound so.
- Engineering club: Best Mousetrap Car Award... just a school award
- Spanish Honor Society: Recited the club pledge at induction
- Loads of other Honor Societies (Social Studies, Math, etc) and Clubs (Psychology, Jogging, Ceramics, Model UN {it's a joke at my school}) where I made less significant contributions.

I can get good recs. I can write a decent essay.
Area of Interest: History is my virtue, but Environmental Science is the devil I cling to. So, either.
White Male. Florida. Parents make 80k income together. Neither attended college.

Schools I've applied to or am considering applying to:
USF
FSU (Applied EA)
UF (Applied EA)
Georgia Tech (Applied EA)
NYU
UCLA
UC Berkeley
Columbia
Stanford

Also: Would retaking the SAT a fourth time greatly help admission chances? I think I could improve, but I also would like to stop tormenting myself with that test!
Post edited by jeey42 on

Replies to: Chance me (Fairly low test scores, decent everything else)

• TylerNarkTylerNark Posts: 232Registered User Junior Member
    Your test scores and GPA is a lot like mine but yours is way more rigorous. Our ECs are different with mine more sports oriented but yours at a glance definitely look a lot better. Based on this, I would say for the following:

USF - Safety? Not sure
    FSU - Safety/Low Match
    UF - Match
    Georgia Tech - Match/High Match
    NYU - Low reach
    UCLA - Low Reach/Reach
    UCB - Reach
    Columbia - Reach
    Stanford - Reach

I'm not too sure about the Universities in Florida (I'm assuming you live in state?). I was looking at the average sat scores and the admittance rates for them are quite low for whatever reason (I'm assuming a lot of dumber kids apply). Also I think after the 3rd time, your SAT scores won't go up by too much unless you plan to study your butt off in the next month (which I doubt would make it go much higher). Good luck!

Chance back? http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1414507-chances-bc-brandeis-colgate-more-ill-chance-back.html
  • jeey42jeey42 Posts: 36Registered User Junior Member
    Yeah, I'm in state. Thanks for the quick response.

I chanced back.
    Good luck to you too!
  • ArtsyGirl13ArtsyGirl13 Posts: 2,971Registered User Senior Member
    I would call Columbia and Stanford unrealistic and NYU a high reach, other then that I agree with OP. Also you need to take another subject test for some of the schools on your list.
    @ArtsyGirl Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I know Columbia and Stanford aren't realistic at all. But I intend on applying to atleast one. They're both schools I really want to go to, and having that "I wish I would have took a chance and APPLIED" thought in the back of my mind would really suck.

I'm working on subject tests for January, as well.
  • daniel829hdaniel829h Posts: 33Registered User Junior Member
    Your GPA and SAT are in the lower average but I think your ECs will make up for it!

I'd say
    NYU- Reach
    UCLA- Low Reach
    UC Berkeley- Low Reach (Assuming you're not applying for engineering)
    Columbia- High Reach
    Stanford- High Reach

Not sure about other schools sorry.
  • hpyscmhpyscm Posts: 900Registered User Member
    Don't waste your money applying to Stanford
    Thanks Daniel, very helpful. I was deciding whether to apply for Environmental Engineering at Engineering or Earth and Planetary Science (with Environmental emphasis) at Letters and Science. Now I know, L&S for sure.

Hpyscm, I explained that I don't think I'll get in. I'd rather "waste" the 90$ and get a rejection letter than wonder if I had even the smallest chance of getting in.