Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Chances of UC mid tier and below, CSU long beach and CSU Humboldt

xtrada123xtrada123 Posts: 51Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in What Are My Chances?
GPA:3.08 but getting it to 3.20
EC's: volunteer at Hospital for over 100 hours
Plan to join track team and baseball team this season
Sat:1209
Act:just took it hope to get at least 20

Plan to join afrotc or nrotc if these schools have them

Does going to a school like Manual Arts High School in LA give you extra points and being in top 10 percent grad class also give you points.

Thank you
Post edited by xtrada123 on

Replies to: Chances of UC mid tier and below, CSU long beach and CSU Humboldt

• xtrada123xtrada123 Posts: 51Registered User Junior Member
    Ohh come on bump....
  • imsocorkyyimsocorkyy Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    Well I can't I've you top notch advice. But I am a freshman at university (SDSU, to be exact) right now so I figured I'd give a shot of what I think from your scores and whatnot.

I think you have a really slim chance of getting into mid-low tier UC schools. Your scores just aren't high enough for them.. Neither SAT or GPA. Even for CSB, your chances of acceptance are slim. Humboldt, I heard, is pretty easy to get into so (if what I heard is true) you might get into that.

It's just that nowadays, university admittance is getting more and more competitive. Even a lot of CSUs are accepting higher end GPAs. For example, at SDSU (San Diego State University), an applicant would need at least 3.6 or higher or at least a low GPA coupled with an average SAT score (1300+) to safely get in. My incoming freshman class had an average GPA of 3.78, from what my professor has told me. That's high for a state school and CSULB is pretty much just as hard to get into as State (if not a little harder).

But honestly, if you have a really personal statement (for UC schools) and really good EC, maybe you can get in... I don't feel like there's a shot with UC. But maybe with the CSUs you want.
    How about small private schools.
  • CatriaCatria Posts: 10,483Registered User Senior Member
    You mean 1210 on the 1600 or the 2400 scale?

If you mean on the 1600 scale you have a shot at UCSC, UCR and UCM. If you mean on the 2400 scale, try to apply to a test-optional school.
    1210 on a 1600. How about private colleges
  • OsakaDadOsakaDad Posts: 1,196Registered User Senior Member
    Bottom line, if you desire to go to college there will always be one that will admit you if you have the money to pay. The issue is do you want to settle. If I were you, I'd seriously consider a good local CC. Many CC's have great sports teams and once you prove yourself academically and on the field, you can transfer to a great 4 year school and still be on track to graduate on time. There is no shame in going to a CC and then your SAT scores will be a non-issue. Otherwise, apply to as many schools as you feel is appropriate. Try UC Riverside and UC Merced -- no guarantees. Also, apply to a several CSUs. Try Humboldt (really nice school I hear and I would choose this over a UC anyway) and several others. Try some of the easier CSUs as well. Since you are in LA, try out CSU San Bernardino, etc.