Chance Me for WashU
Hi, this is my first time using the site as well as seriously consindering certain colleges. My high school is a competative public school in New England but it does some things differently. The gpa in my school is on a 5.0 scale and weights AP classes equally as honors classes. The school also does not give students the opportunity to take AP classes until junior year and there are minimal options even then, but it is a hard school without APs. We also do not rank students so i can only give an approximate/guess when it comes to my ranking.
Okay so I know I wrote WashU above but I understand that it is an extreme stretch for me and I guess im wondering if you guys recommend me forgetting about it or working towards applying there. I'm also wondering how much of the above information will the colleges I apply to know? Some honors classes in my school, seem to me, almost AP level.
I've been sort of in contact with WashU I guess and they encouraged me to sign up for their month long architectural summer program that would give college credit (through a postcard, I know that I need to write back to express my interest). I wondering that if I do this as well as possibly apply ED next year (though I reall dont know yet), if I will have a decent chance?
My unweight gpa is probably a 3.7/4 where as my weighted gpa is a 4.5/5
I believe my class rank is somewhere in the 25% range but, again, it's not given. My grade has about 450 students.
Honors Math - B
Honors History - B+
Regular English - A
Regular Biology - A-
Regular Spanish 2 - A-
Art - A
Honors English - A-
Honors History - A
Regular Math - A
Regular Science - A
Regular Spanish 3 - A
Art - A
Junior (Current Grades):
AP Art - B < not sure
Honors English - A- (that is probably the highest grade in the class he is an extremly tough teacher and im thinking about asking him for a college recommendation because he seems to like my writing and I work very hard in this class)
Honors History - A-
Regular Math - A
Regular Chemistry - A
Regular Spanish 4 - A
Senior year I plan to take 2 or 3 AP classes.
I haven't taken the SATs yet but my goal range is in the low 2000's
- I hope to get about a 720 on Math
- a 670 on Reading
- lower 600s on writing
I know that I will eventually need to take subjects test but I have no predictions as to what tests/scores I will get for those
In terms of Acheivments/Activities heres what I have (it would be really helpful if someone told me which ones are good activities/important and which I just shouldn't even be concerned about):
- Freshmen year I was a student teacher at my hebrew school and earned 30 hours of community service
- Freshmen year I was on JV Tennis
- Freshmen year I was awarded "Most Improved Student" < is that important at all?
- Last year I was a state finalist for National History Day.... it's like a nation competition for history projects
- Last Year I became a member of National Honor Society
- For ^ we need at least 10 hours of tutoring each year so by the time I apply to colllege I will hopefully have 20 or so hours of peer tutoring done
- Last Year I was on Varsity tennis
- Last year I was a founding member of a club at my school (but didn't have an official leadership role)
- Last Summer I went on a service trip to Costa Rica for a month and earned 80 hours of community service as well as (hopefully because this is not completed) a cerfiticate of global awarness kind of, it's called a Global Competency Certificate and is presented at graduation so it's fairly important
- This year I am still a part of that club an again do not have an official "president" role but if I did it would be like vice president or head of publicity
- I hope to be on varsity tennis again this year and next
- I'm thinking about starting a club that would raise awareness for global scocial rights.... this would be in relation to the trip i went on this summer (though the club part is for colleges, the trip did mean a lot to me and I think I will most likely devot some of the writing on my application to the trip)
That's about it, please be nice as this is my first time using the site and I know I was vague on a lot of sections. I do understand that it would be a stretch, keep in mind that I am considering their summer program as well as ED
Btw, both my parents went to Duke univeristy but I am aware of the extreme competativness of that school so i understand that being a double legacy wil not help me because my grades aren't great