Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Not a chance thread... but don't you find it odd that...?

newsstand1234newsstand1234 Posts: 30Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in What Are My Chances?
Am I the only one who finds it odd that really smart CC people claim to not know their chances of getting into schools, and then go and chance other seniors?

I'm not blaming the process/outcome - I think in some ways, it could be helpful for people to calm their nerves and get some genuine advice. And I realize that this is the purpose of this forum.

But at the same time, IMHO, it's quite unlikely that a senior who is uncertain of their own shot is able to give a good estimate, right? Either that, or they might know they have decent chances and are just looking for some support on their opinion. And in the end, it's not even in our hands (unless ur an Adcom or something).

Idk, maybe it's just me tho... what do you guys think?
Post edited by newsstand1234 on

Replies to: Not a chance thread... but don't you find it odd that...?

• readingforeverreadingforever Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    It's true in some perspectives, but for me personally, I am better able to examine other people than myself, because I do not have the emotional connection.

I can't properly examine my "chances" without questioning my biological and psychological affects on the results. Also, I am basing it off of my own experiences, which I can't help, unless I unknowingly have a brain function that allows me too, so to have others with different perspectives and experiences judge my information shows me the average response. Or it points out information that I do not obtain, and therefore gives me a better chance of obtaining it.

I can then use this information to steer myself on what the majority might act like or shows things that I, with my brain and experiences, would not have noticed. However, I must also take note of the average crowd here if I want to find out the "majority" average opinion. On the other hand, I'm not usually wondering about the world's majority opinion or the USA, but the majority of people that I will be interacting with in order to be admitted to the proper educational institution.

For example, you are asking a question now. Why? Because you want to see people with other neurological background's opinion, so you can now have their experiences at hand as a tool for your ability to perceive and contemplate the question.

Make sense? If not, sorry I'm a little bit tired... It is late, ha ha.
  • LoremIpsumLoremIpsum Posts: 3,497Registered User Senior Member
    Am I the only one who finds it odd that really smart CC people claim to not know their chances of getting into schools, and then go and chance other seniors?

That makes sense to some extent -- the blind leading the blind in many cases. Nevertheless, a portion of the people who post here are already college students who recently went through the process; some may be parents; and others may well be seniors, but with older siblings who have shared their experiences.

Acceptance to a highly selective school is a complex process; it's quite possible for a given poster to understand one facet of the process, due to previous reading or experience, yet not be confident enough about the other parts and thus seek more insights or reassurance.
  • newsstand1234newsstand1234 Posts: 30Registered User Junior Member
    Yes - that makes sense. Glad there are Senior members like LoremIpsum to guide high schoolers! Although we all know that in the end, this is mostly a subjective process...
  • SgtDonutSgtDonut Posts: 857Registered User Member
    Exactly. I don't get why people ask to be chanced for Ivies and other top schools. Like, do you have high test scores and GPA? Then you have a chance. No? Then you don't. This is why we have common data sets. I think people just want congratulations for their accomplishments rather than actual feedback.
  • LoremIpsumLoremIpsum Posts: 3,497Registered User Senior Member
    Like, do you have high test scores and GPA? Then you have a chance. No? Then you don't.... I think people just want congratulations for their accomplishments rather than actual feedback.

I think you're being too harsh, SgtDonut. Every year lots of students with perfect stats are rejected by multiple top colleges; the more you read on CC, the more cause you have to worry that, no matter what, you're just not good enough.

Some students post to get reassurance; the wiser ones post in advance of senior year to gain insights on how to tweak that little extra bit to get noticed, amidst a sea of incredibility tough competition.

Here's the bottom line: you need an advocate on the admissions committee who finds you interesting and is willing to go to bat for you. That advocate will have a few seconds in one meeting to summarize your accomplishments and declare to the others why you should be accepted over a thousand others with similar stats. Given this, how do you "market" yourself in your essays, your letters of recommendations, and your list of ECs and community service projects to inspire that advocacy?
  • CatriaCatria Posts: 10,299Registered User Senior Member
    And, despite my experience of college admissions being very different from other veteran chancers, I somehow manage to get satisfactory results as a chancer. (At least 3 acceptances when I put their chances as either a safety or a low match)
  • EdwardWittenEdwardWitten Posts: 199Registered User Junior Member
    You shouldn't be blaming the people responding. Chance threads are for peace if mind. Anyone can give that
  • ArtsyGirl13ArtsyGirl13 Posts: 2,969Registered User Senior Member
    When you know stats well (which most of the chancers who have been here for a least a few months/have done a decent number of chances) it is still hard to chance yourself/you tend to be too easy or hard on yourself. For example of course I could look at Temple's stats and identify it as a safety, but when I look at reaches I begin to assume that they will reject me due to low test scores or will overlook a low GPA one semester, you are too involved in your own life to chance.
  • newsstand1234newsstand1234 Posts: 30Registered User Junior Member
    Right-- that's why I said that I'm not blaming the process since it gives people peace of mind. And Senior CC members chancing might be quite helpful, I'm sure. It's just high schoolers chancing high schoolers, the "blind leading the blind"'as someone put it, that makes me a little bit skeptical. Especially since they might not be totally aware of how things work themselves.
  • college134njcollege134nj Posts: 70Registered User Junior Member