Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Higher ACT, 33 than gpa, 3.8 does this eliminate top colleges?

LshofronLshofron Posts: 4Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in What Are My Chances?
I have a higher ACT, 33, than my gpa, 3.8 (unweighted) - does this eliminate top colleges? For example, UCLA, UCB, UNIV. OF TEXAS, AUSTIN, BROWN, POMONA, USC?
Post edited by Lshofron on

Replies to: Higher ACT, 33 than gpa, 3.8 does this eliminate top colleges?

• yearbookstalkeryearbookstalker Posts: 102Registered User Junior Member
    lolol I think you're fine, as long as you've taken APs/Honors, have great ECs, and have some sort of flair to add to the colleges. I don't see why you would eliminate those schools
  • LoremIpsumLoremIpsum Posts: 3,497Registered User Senior Member
    A 3.8 unweighted GPA isn't all that bad; you've perhaps been reading CC too long!

A lot might depend on how rigorous your class selection was (was it "most rigorous"?) and how free or stingy your school is in awarding A's (is your class rank in the top 10%?). At Brown, only 2% of the applicants not in the top 10% get accepted; your other schools should be more lenient.
  • commanderkeen42commanderkeen42 Posts: 261Registered User Junior Member
    My advice is to have something to make you stand out; there's a lot of people with similar numbers--myself included--and schools want to see uniqueness.
  • CatriaCatria Posts: 10,730Registered User Senior Member
    What's your EC file? Until we see your EC file, the ratings below are provisional.

UCLA: Match (if full freight OOS)/High match (otherwise)
    UCB: Match (if full freight OOS)/High match (otherwise)
    UTA: Low match
    Brown: Reach
    Pomona: Reach
    USC: Match/high match