Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Chance me at UCB and UCLA please.

YoBDaYoBDa Posts: 82Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in What Are My Chances?
Sat 1 - 2090 (Maths - 760, CR- 670, writing 660)
GPA- Not present as I am an international. Was also wondering if that would give me trouble. My High School averages stand at around 83-87%
ECA- Loads, but I guess they don't count for much.
Recommendation letter- Excellent ones as the teachers love me :P

Can you chance me at UCB and UCLA? And if possible, Cornell, Columbia, and Michigan (Ann Arbor) as well?

Will chance back :) Thank you.
Post edited by YoBDa on

Replies to: Chance me at UCB and UCLA please.

• CatriaCatria Posts: 10,658Registered User Senior Member
    A high school average of 83-87% would resemble a 3.3-3.6 GPA in the US and I'll chance you on that basis.

Plus ECs may not count for that much at UMI but at Cornell and Columbia, they do. Even so, your grades are a little low for Cornell and Columbia. I assume your safeties are at home...

UCB: Reach (even paying full freight can't save you)
    UCLA: Reach (same as above)
    UMI: Match
    Cornell: Reach
    Columbia: Reach
  • YoBDaYoBDa Posts: 82Registered User Junior Member
    My safety is University of Toronto :P
    And thanks :) I knew my high school average would cause trouble. Do you know what average would be good? I still have one year at high school, maybe I can turn it around somehow.
    By the way, though I probably sound stupid, what is "reach"? Does it mean good or bad? On percentage basis, what is that? :S
    One last question, if its not too much of a bother, is my SAT score too low for these schools too?
    I knew U Toronto admitted loads of Canadian students with 83-87% averages but 90%+ averages are the norm for UCB, UCLA, Cornell and Columbia. However, your SAT is just fine for the UCs and UMI.

A reach is perhaps 20% or below acceptance odds.
    I'm Bangladeshi, and I was hoping to admit to UofT on my O'levels and A'levels grades, which stands at all A's and A*'s. Its a pity my school average sucks, my school always focused on O/A'levels and therefore kept school exams as just "a way of learning". I realized only a few months back that my O/A'level grades count for nothing in USA.

I guess Berkeley will forever remain a dream. Thanks for the help by the way :) Really appreciate it. Guess I should start praying that Michigan has mercy and decides to take me :P
    I got my sats 2 results today
    Maths II - 780
    Chemistry- 800
    Physics- 750
    Does that help my cause any? >.<
  • BuBBLES FoR SALEBuBBLES FoR SALE Posts: 2,164Registered User Senior Member
    You should retake your SAT.

UCB: Low Reach
    UCLA: Low Reach
    U of M: High Match
    Cornell: Reach
    Columbia: Reach
    U Toronto is more sensitive to O-levels and A-levels, I'll grant you that. But it's more sensitive to A-levels than O-levels.

SAT-IIs will help you somewhat, even for U Toronto, so it could help you for U Michigan as well.
    Ya, I am retaking SAT 1 this December (10 days left, I'm scared witless now lol). What is low reach by the way? O.o Is that better or worse than reach?
    And thank God, SAT 2 will do something, I guess only thing I can do right now is study till I drop for SAT 1 and score a 2150+ or something :P