Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Getting into Engineering after failing first year of University

dubbykinzdubbykinz Posts: 2Registered User New Member
Hoping this is the right place to post this... for the record, I am Canadian.

I graduated High School in 2011, and I attended one year at York University (for Humanities). I dropped out and failed all but one of my classes (some personal reasons, but laziness and unmotivation mixed in too).

I've been sitting at home working a dead-end job the last year since, but I think I finally want to get back into schooling. Computer Engineering to be exact. I love computers with a passion, and everything about them, and although I might not end up liking it later, I at least want to give it a try. I feel I can finally be serious about school.

The problem is, when I went through High School, I pretty much just "went through the motions" to graduate without a second thought to my future. I ended up enrolling at York because my parents pressured me into it, not because I was interested in the program itself. Most Engineering programs require a bunch of Math & Science credits to be considered for acceptance into the programs, of which I have none (I dropped Math after Grade 11, and Science after Grade 10).

That, and coupled with my crappy grades from when I attended York, makes me wonder if I'm able to even get accepted into a proper Engineering program.

What are my options here? I was looking into enrolling in an Adult school during the day (I work evenings), and hoping to get all the credits I missed out on during High School accelerated (2-3 shortened semesters), so I could hopefully be ready to apply for September 2014. However, most accelerated day school programs during the day seem to be for people 21+ only (I'm 20), and the ones for under 21 do not offer the courses I am looking for, as they are targetted towards people who are looking to only get their high school diploma.

Anyone know of any solutions to this for me? Thanks much in advance. I'm really serious about moving forward in school now.