Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Can an undocumented student go to Sophie Davis?

clearinsightclearinsight Posts: 25Registered User New Member
edited August 2013 in What Are My Chances?
Is citizenship/residential status necessary for all the aid the school gives for pre-med and medical school?
Post edited by clearinsight on

Replies to: Can an undocumented student go to Sophie Davis?

• dancegrldancegrl Posts: 184Registered User Junior Member
    It depends on what exactly you are asking...

If you are living in the U.S. illegally, you are not eligible for federal financial aid. Applying for it would be all but impossible. Some schools may give you institutional aid independent of your federal aid status but affording anything but community college would be impossible given that one generally supplements the other.

If you are a citizen of another country looking to study here, you may receive aid but it will likely not be that much. Colleges make a lot of their money off of wealthy international students looking to enjoy the prestige of studying in the U.S.
  • clearinsightclearinsight Posts: 25Registered User New Member
    Thanks for the reply dancegrl.

Yes, I understand that an undocumented student would not receive federal aid.
    Sophie Davis offers all their students premed and medical school at a reduced price in return for serving as a physician for two years after graduating. I am not sure if this counts as federal aid or just in-state tuition.
    Deffered action students are eligible for in-state tuition. I also heard that going to medical school is almost impossible for undocumented students? I hope someone can give me more information on this.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Posts: 16,885Super Moderator Senior Member
    For admission to Sophie Davis you must be a NYS resident in addition to being either a US Citizen or Permanent resident.

Unfortunately, Undocumented students, students with deferred action and international students are not eligible for admission.

Requirements
    To be considered for Fall admission to The Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education, an applicant must:

be a resident of New York State and a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
    be a high school graduate as of June 30th

have a minimum grade average of 85 percent through the first three years of high school
    submit SAT and ACT scores; and

have completed no more than one college semester by the end of the Fall semester. (NOTE: College credits earned prior to high school graduation are not counted for this purpose.)

http://www1.ccny.cuny.edu/prospective/med/admissions/bsmd_program.cfm
    Thank you sybbie719.
  • teenbodybuilderteenbodybuilder Posts: 1,621Registered User Senior Member
    If an undocumented student can qualify for a $200,000 medical school loan, then it wouldn't be impossible.
    What do you mean by that?
  • teenbodybuilderteenbodybuilder Posts: 1,621Registered User Senior Member
    I mean that medical school is expensive as hell. An undocumented student can not get federal aid for medical school. Illegals are usually poor and their families do not have $200,000+ in the bank to pay.
    Do you know if its possible to get private institution aid? Or any other option?