Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College application "special skills"

Mewcat60Mewcat60 Posts: 50Registered User Junior Member
edited September 2013 in What Are My Chances?
I'm a little worried about applying to college. I have a couple years before I need to go to college, but I'm a little freaked out about the application forms. Many of the forms ask you if you have any special skills like playing an instrument or being a part of any extracurricular activities. I don't play any instruments or participate in any after school activities (I don't know which ones are available yet). I'm not a straight A student, I get mostly As and Bs, so I'm worried about getting into a good college or university. I'm currently learning another language. If I can read and write English and Chinese, would that help my chances of getting in? What else can I do? Does doing volunteer hours help?
Post edited by Mewcat60 on

Replies to: College application "special skills"

• GoingToCollege14GoingToCollege14 Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    Honestly, you should get involved with as much as you can. Don't overload on extracurriculars, but join ones you feel comfortable joining. Volunteer hours are really helpful too. Good luck!
  • Mewcat60Mewcat60 Posts: 50Registered User Junior Member
    Hola peoples. Didn't feel like starting a new thread so here is the new question.
    I'm getting nervous reading all these posts because many of the people here seem so smart. They get 2300s on SAT and 34s on ACTS. Plus there are things like being on sports teams or playing an instrument or knowing another language that count as college credit. I have none of those. (Actually, i havent taken the SATS yet so we'll see). How are average students like me supposed to compete with that?