Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Chance me for Washington and Lee Johnson Scholarship FINALIST ONLY

upandcoming123upandcoming123 Posts: 3Registered User New Member
edited October 2013 in What Are My Chances?
Hi! I am a senior at a public school on Long Island. I am a White, Jewish Male. I have given a verbal commitment to the wrestling coach at Washington and Lee after being told I have a high chance of being admitted through Early Decision. I know my scores are low but I am applying for the Johnson hoping simply to become a finalist so that I can become eligible for consideration for W&L's other scholarships, more specifically the Weinstein Scholarship for Jewish students interested in Hillel and Jewish Studies. Here are my numbers and EC's. I WILL CHANCE BACK!

Intended major: Business Administration (Hoping to go to law school and pursue a career in sports law)

GPA: 3.635 (Weighted), 3.4 (Unweighted)
Class Rank: NA (School does not rank)
AP classes: European History (3), APUSH (3), AP English Language (4)
Honors Classes: Engish (9th and 10th grade), Global History (9th), Earth Science (8th; high school course), Spanish (11th)
College classes: All through SUPA (Syracuse University Project Advance): Business Law, Accounting.
Taking AP Environmental Science and AP English Literature, as well as SUPA Public Affairs, SUPA Economics, and SUPA Spanish

ACT w/ Writing: 30 (35E, 29M, 28R, 27S, 8 on essay)
SAT: 2050 (670 CR, 670 Math, 710 Writing)
SAT Subject Tests: Only took one (Math I 630)

Activities (only the ones on my application):

Varsity Wrestling (9-12) Captain
-Three time All-Conference wrestler, two time Conference finalist, Received Founding Fathers award from my high school program, NYSPHSAA Scholar Athlete all four years, wrestled for Team New York.

Varsity Football (9-12)
- Three year varsity player, NYSPHSAA Scholar Athlete all four years.

Five Towns Community Chest Youth Board (9-12) President
- I facilitate volunteer opportunities for a local organization that runs fundraisers that distribute profits to local community minded organizations in need.

HHS Spectrum (School Newspaper) (12)- Sports Section Editor
- I assemble and organize the 5 to 6 pages that constitute the sports section of my schools newspaper.

Varsity Tenns (11) Team Manager
-Compiled statistics for varsity tennis team all season.

Junior Varsity Lacrosse (9-10) Team Captain
- One year captain, two year starter. Also played travel lacrosse

Middle School Wrestling Coach (9-12)
-I instruct middle school age students in folkstyle (scholastic) wrestling. In my first season coaching, the team was undefeated at 8-0.

Member of school's Concert Band/Wind Ensemble (9-12)
-I am a first chair Euphonium/Baritone player in the selective ensemble at my school. I was an honorary guest performer at the Disney Electric Light Parade in Florida and have traveled to Carnegie Hall and Puerto Rico for concerts.

General Music

I also play the guitar and piano. I have been playing recreationally since I was six years old.

Other Acolades:

National Honor Society

Business Honor Society

Outstanding Achievement in Chemistry Award in my high school

Honor Roll all four years

9th Grade Football "Unsung Hero" Award

Silver Cord Recipient with over 150 hours of community service throughout high school.

Completed 28 Day J Robinson Intensive Wrestling Camp in Minnesota.

First freshman at my school permitted to take Advanced Journalism due to excellence in junior high school english courses.

3R (Reason, Respect, and Responsibility) Recognition Award in my high school

Supplements:

Common App (about my struggles in completing the J Robinson Intensive Camp)
Supplement 1 (250 words about my involvement in Community Chest)
Supplement 2 (250 words describing why I applied which includes praising of the strong Hillel program at W&L)

I don't know if being an athlete for the school helps the process but eager to get some outside incite!
Post edited by upandcoming123 on

Replies to: Chance me for Washington and Lee Johnson Scholarship FINALIST ONLY