Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Chance Me UPenn ED/Yale/Brown/Princeton/etc... Will Chance Back!

Replies to: Chance Me UPenn ED/Yale/Brown/Princeton/etc... Will Chance Back!

• writergirl0316writergirl0316 Registered User Posts: 228 Junior Member
    Thanks! My marking period just ended -- not semester, but the smaller periods we have for progress reports -- so the influx of tests and assignments will calm by tomorrow. I am planning on doing science practice tests every night all of this week and next. @emmajay
  • vikes40vikes40 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    Penn: Accept
    Yale: Waitlist/ Accept
    Princeton: Waitlist
    Brown: Accept
    Harvard: Waitlist/Reject
    Boston University: Accept
    SUNY Geneseo: Accept
    Emory: Accept
    Georgetown: Accept

Your GPA is incredible, and if your ACT goes up, you should easily get into most or all of these schools.
    Thank you! :) I'm really hoping that the April test works out for me, though I'm hoping my subscores would help me even if I just submit this one... I'm under the impression that 33 is only below average for Harvard. (Y/Brown/Penn are my top 3.) @vikes40
  • ambitionsquaredambitionsquared Registered User Posts: 583 Member
    I think you would get into Penn if you did ED. Also have a feeling that you'll be accepted to Brown both ED or RD. Good luck!
  • grandlvgrandlv Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    edited March 25
    Your EC's and GPA are obviously very good; I'd say you can easily get into most schools on the list (Ivies are a crapshoot but your chance is probably higher than most) and I think you should definitely retake the ACT. The science section is pretty subjective but it's definitely improvable with consistent practice. Good luck!
    Thank you! I see a bunch of people on the Yale SCEA & Penn ED results thread accepted with 33's, so I'm hoping I should be fairly okay regardless... I am retaking in April, but just in case. @grandlv
  • Dogcat73Dogcat73 Registered User Posts: 183 Junior Member
    Your EC's impress me! It sounds so interesting and I can see where your passion lies. I guess it kinda depends on where you go to high school (ex: Whether PENN accepts a lot of only 1 or 2), but I'd say you have a good chance like everyone else (not bound to get in, but probably defer/waitlist? id be surprised if u got rejected). The only ones I think you'd have lower chances are are Gtown (they care a lot about GPA and test score), Yale, and Princeton (because those two are crapshoots for EVERYONE). Best of luck!
    I'd say Penn usually accepts only one or two, but not too many people typically apply there. 2/3 of the most recent valedictorians have matriculated at Penn, actually! @hungrihippo
  • Dogcat73Dogcat73 Registered User Posts: 183 Junior Member
    Oh also, not sure about this, but I heard Emory is huge on interest and waitlists/rejects students who seem to have Emory as a "second choice" or "backup". I was told by my college counselor, Naviance, and the proof of my grades/SAT that Emory would be one of the easiest schools I'd get into (the average stats from my school are pretty low for those who get into Emory-- not bashing Emory at all when I say it would be one of the "easiest", just saying based on scattergram and past acceptances from my school), and I got rejected :/ It was a possible for me (deemed by counselor and naviance, not me), while my friends with lower stats got accepted. So just remember that sometimes schools may not take you if you don't show interest or are "overqualified"-- I know this was very confusing and discouraging to me when I got rejected!
    I'm actually not positive about Emory... I'm only a junior, so everything is temporary haha. I love their strength in writing, obviously, but I'm not sure I want to go that far South. @hungrihippo
  • tennisbuddytennisbuddy Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Penn ED: Accepted
    Penn RD: Accepted
    Yale: Waitlisted
    Princeton: Rejected
    Brown: Accepted
    Harvard: Waitlisted
    BU: Accepted
    SUNY: Accepted
    Emory: Waitlisted(Only because I don't know if your personality would fit that school.)
    Georgetown: Accepted
    Vassar: Accepted
    Wellesley: Accepted

All the best!!!!!!
    @tennisbuddy Thank you! Best of luck to you as well :)
  • MaddyPMaddyP Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    You have a lot that stands out about you, and I think colleges will like that. What caught my eye the most was the internship you had with the Guggenheim, and the fact that you organized 35+ people across the globe for a literary magazine. All of that is very impressive! I think because of your stats and what you have gotten yourself involved in, you'll be an extremely qualified candidate for all your schools. Although Ivies are a struggle for anyone, I think you'll be able to get into at least one! And every other school I'm sure you'll get into assuming not much changes with your grades.

Also, do you still wrote for the Progressive Teen? I was just added to the staff!
    I haven't written an article in a little while, but yes! I did one fairly recently about Mike Pence. :) @MaddyP