Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Chance Me UPenn ED/Yale/Brown/Princeton/etc... Will Chance Back!

Replies to: Chance Me UPenn ED/Yale/Brown/Princeton/etc... Will Chance Back!

• yonceonhismouthyonceonhismouth Registered User Posts: 1,962 Senior Member
    edited February 24
    While obviously all of the successful applicants to the Ivies are intellectual, from my time on both campuses (I've spent a summer at both Yale and Penn) I felt that Penn was a little more action-intellectual, while Yale was more deep-thinking and analytical intellectual. While I don't doubt that you'd be successful at either, in my personal opinion, I think your journalism and commitment to writing would appeal more to Yale- it's student "type" just feels more like you, from what I gather in your post.
  • writergirl0316writergirl0316 Registered User Posts: 259 Junior Member
    @yonceonhismouth Hm, I'll take that into consideration. Thanks again!
  • ap012199ap012199 Registered User Posts: 1,624 Senior Member
    Contrary to what some other posters have said, you seem to be a very pointed/lopsided applicant -- which isn't a bad thing. Your ECs mostly all revolve around writing, and you have some spectacular and interesting activities!

I'm really interested in writing too, but, unfortunately, I didn't centralize my app around it since I write almost constantly independently. I have had an internship with my newspaper and have written articles for it (for community of 20K). I also mentioned that I'm senior editor of the yearbook (hopefully they'll get that I'm language editor since I put it under "writing" on the common app). I'm also currently writing a fiction novel and recently finished a short story, but other than that, I haven't had those opportunities like you! I also do a bunch of other stuff (I'm much more of a well rounded applicant) so I chose not to focus my app on writing. I'm writing this long winded paragraph just to note that we have pretty similar interests haha.

I would be wary of writing your essay about reading because it could venture into the land of clichés and triteness, but you seem like a talented writer nonetheless.

SCEA Yale- accept/defer (but more likely accept)
    ED Penn- defer

Princeton- reject
    Brown- accept/waitlist (Brown's admissions are so quirky and unpredictable, evidenced by my chance me post lol)
    Harvard-reject
    BU- accept
    Geneseo- accept
    Emory- accept
    Georgetown- waitlist (TBH you don't seem like a great fit)
    Vassar- accept
    Wellesley- accept

If I were you, I would add some more writing-friendly colleges to the list like WashU, Pomona, and maybe JHU. Good luck!
    @ap012199 :

Sorry for the ambiguity about my essay, but I don't think it was too cliche, just hard to explain -- it was also about Matilda and rebellion. :) But about my extracurriculars, I can talk to you more about them if you PM me! I have little to no extracurricular opportunities for writing at my school, so I head pretty much everything there. All of the literary journal stuff is done entirely online. Maybe it's too late for your app, but there's tons of opportunities to get involved!

Like I asked above, I'd like to hear your rationale on why you think I'm more likely get into Yale than Penn early. I know Penn has a much higher ED % & I have the possibility of recruitment there, but now that two of you said the same thing, I'm really curious. Also, are Princeton/Harvard considered less writer-friendly than Yale? People seem more optimistic about my chances at Yale than the other two.

Thanks so much!
    @ap012199 I also don't think swapping Georgetown for JHU is a bad idea. I do love politics though, which is less obvious from my app but why Georgetown is there.
  • ap012199ap012199 Registered User Posts: 1,624 Senior Member
    I think that out of HYP, Harvard produces the most successful writers (especially screenwriters). My rationale between Yale and Penn early is that you just seem like a really great fit for Yale and not so much Penn. I honestly don't have much reason behind this other than the fact that I know a couple kids at both schools. It's ultimately your decision, and with possible recruitment, you'll have a good chance.
    @ap012199 Got it, thanks!
  • skyb1ueskyb1ue Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    Just a heads up - Just wanted to make sure you knew that you cannot SCEA and ED at the same time.
    @skyb1ue Yes, I know! I'm deciding between Yale SCEA and Penn ED.
  • Pokeman1Pokeman1 Registered User Posts: 265 Junior Member
    I think you'll probably be accepted to all the non-ivy schools that you mentioned. Yale and Harvard will probably be rejects though, just because... lol.
    But I think you have a good chance at UPenn, Brown and Princeton. You're definitely above average in their applicant pool.
    And I don't really think the 33 or 34 on your ACT will make any difference for your chances.
    Good luck!!!
  • poipr123poipr123 Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    Assuming you have a 4.0 GPA and get high 700s on your SAT II I see you as a very strong candidate. Good ecs and stats.

SCEA Yale- accept/defer (RD maybe a waitlist)
    ED Penn- accept/defer (RD same, waitlist)
    Princeton- accept/waitlist
    Brown- accept/waitlist
    Harvard-accept/waitlist
    BU- accept
    Geneseo- accept
    Emory- accept
    Georgetown- accept
    Vassar- accept
    Wellesley- accept/

Ivy's really are a reach for everyone, but I do think you have a very good chance!
    @Pokeman1 & @poipr123 Thank you! I think the 33 is just freaking me out a bit right now, just in case my retake doesn't go so well. And poipr, I do have a 4.0 (and there's a minimal chance of me losing it.)
    Bump?
  • checker5965checker5965 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    I'd say acceptance at Upenn, Brown as for Yale, Harvard, it could go either way but you have a pretty good chance! Your ECs clearly show your passion towards writing
  • ZenjuChanZenjuChan Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    They are ivy leagues, so nothing is certain, but u good great on paper. I think brown and yale are great fits and will want you. Upenn and princeton won't be too excited because they are getting the best applicants out there.