Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

chance me for Princeton and U-Chicago

writerboy02writerboy02 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
edited March 17 in What Are My Chances?
currently a junior..

Objective:
GPA: 4.0, Top Scholar in the Class (2015-2017)
SAT I: 1510 (Reading:710, Math: 800) Essay: 23/24
ACT: 33 (English: 32, Math: 36, Reading: 30, Science: 33)
SAT II: Math 2C (800), Physics (770), Chinese (800), World History (730)
AP: Calculus AB (5), World History (5), Physics 1 (4)

Course Rigor:
Freshman: English I Honors, Pre-Calc, History I Honors, Chemistry Honors, French I
Sophomore: English II Honors, AP Calculus AB, AP World History, AP Physics 1, French II
Junior: AP English Language, AP Calculus BC, AP US History, AP Physics C, French III Honors
Senior: AP English Literature, AP Statistics, AP Economics, AP French, Philosophy

Extracurricular:
Debate team, MUN, Newspaper, Environmental Club, Tour Guide, Mathlete
Sports - Varsity Soccer
Community Service - Taught North Korean defector students English (70+ hours)
Peer tutoring (20+ hours)

Club Leader: MUN Founder & student leader, Mathlete leader, Newspaper Editor next year
Internship: Student Reporter at a Korean newspaper

Intended Major: Math, Economics, History
Elementary School: public school in Korea
Middle School: International school in China
High School: Top 30ish private boarding school in New England
Ethnicity: East Asian

Chance me for
- Princeton University (ED)
- University of Chicago
- Dartmouth College
- University of Pennsylvania
- Tufts University
- Amherst College
- Middlebury College
- Kenyon College
- Swarthmore College
- Amherst College
- Northwestern University
- University of Virginia
- Duke University

Replies to: chance me for Princeton and U-Chicago

• trekslxchicktrekslxchick Registered User Posts: 201 Junior Member
    Kenyon is a target, the rest are reaches.

You need to have some likelies and more targets.

Any Biology in high school? Are you a Junior? If so, I suggest replacing Philosophy with a lab science for senior year. Most of your competition at these uber-selectives will have 4 years of science.
  • trekslxchicktrekslxchick Registered User Posts: 201 Junior Member
    Kenyon is a target, the rest are reaches.

You need to have some likelies and more targets.

Any Biology in high school? Are you a Junior? If so, I suggest replacing Philosophy with a lab science for senior year. Most of your competition at these uber-selectives will have 4 years of science.
  • ThankYouforHelpThankYouforHelp Registered User Posts: 1,012 Senior Member
    No one can "chance" you for schools like Princeton and UChicago. You are a strong applicant - but there are there are tens of thousands of strong applicants, and those schools necessarily turn down a lot of them because they don't have space.

You probably will get in to one or more of the schools on your list, but you can't be sure. You need more schools that are just slightly less selective than the elites. Right now, Kenyon and (maybe) UVa are the only ones you have on your list, and both of them are very selective too. Broaden your search.
  • writergirl0316writergirl0316 Registered User Posts: 224 Junior Member
    Haha, I like your username!

Though, regarding the user, I was expecting you to have a strong writing focus -- your interests seem much more divergent. Aside from the SAT II/SAT/ACT math scores, I don't see your commitment to math. Though you have more journalism activities, they seem fairly standard, and your standardized test scores in English disciplines are weaker. I would definitely suggest trying to work on the image of yourself that you want to present to ad-coms. None of these are really matches, so it's difficult to predict. I'm going to say:

Princeton University (ED): Deferred, Rejected
    - University of Chicago: Waitlist
    - Dartmouth College: Accept/Waitlist
    - University of Pennsylvania (I don't know what school you're applying to. CAS, maybe waitlist. Wharton, reject.)
    - Tufts University: Waitlist
    - Amherst College: Waitlist/Accept (leans waitlist)
    - Middlebury College: Waitlist/Accept (leans accept)
    - Kenyon College: Accept
    - Swarthmore College: Waitlist/Reject
    - Northwestern University: Waitlist
    - University of Virginia: Waitlist/Accept
    - Duke University: Waitlist/Reject

Best of luck! :) Chance me back? https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1966406-chance-me-upenn-ed-yale-brown-princeton-etc-will-chance-back-p1.html
  • writerboy02writerboy02 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    @trekslxchick thanks for your advice!!
    @ThankYouforHelp I really appreciate your comment.
    Although I forgot to mention in my post, I recently visited Washington & Lee, UNC-Chapel Hill, George Washington, Georgetown, BU, and BC.
    As you said, I will try harder to get to know about a wider range of colleges.

Thanks a lot!
    @writergirl0316 I also like your username a lot! haha

As you pointed out, my academic interests are divergent -- I find it hard to specialize in one field.
    For instance, although I spent most of my time learning foreign languages (English, Chinese, and French) in my freshman year, I found myself preoccupied with math and physics this year.

Consequently, my academic courses and extracurricular activities are pretty dispersed, which is rather unfortunate. (You are shrewd to catch my characteristics just based upon a thread!)

Thanks a lot for your practical advice! I really appreciate it.

edited March 20
    @writergirl0316

U-Penn (ED/RD) - Accept
    Yale - Accept (I somehow feel like you will fit into Yale community seamlessly)
    Princeton - Waitlist/Reject
    Brown - Waitlist/Accept (leans waitlist)
    Harvard - Reject
    BU - Accept
    SUNY - Accept w/ full scholarship
    Emory - Accept
    Georgetown - Accept
    Vassar - Accept
    Wellesley - Accept

Your extracurricular activities and GPA are stellar.
    Just make sure that you do well on your SAT IIs, APs, and a bit better on ACT -- 33 is still an amazing score though. (Btw, I recommend you this book: For the Love of ACT Science: An innovative approach to mastering the science section of the ACT standardized exam Paperback. I started with roughly a 28 on official science practice tests, but I improved science section drastically with this one.)

I just feel like you will find yourself at either Penn or Yale next year!
    Good Luck!

• writergirl0316writergirl0316 Registered User Posts: 224 Junior Member
    Those are my two top schools, so I hope you're right! Best of luck. :) @writerboy02
  • kjake2000kjake2000 Registered User Posts: 440 Member
    isn't wellesley an all girls school?
  • mackinawmackinaw Registered User Posts: 2,489 Senior Member
    edited March 20
    I'm looking at EC's, and this list:

Extracurricular:
    Debate team, MUN, Newspaper, Environmental Club, Tour Guide, Mathlete
    Sports - Varsity Soccer
    Community Service - Taught North Korean defector students English (70+ hours)
    Peer tutoring (20+ hours)

Club Leader: MUN Founder & student leader, Mathlete leader, Newspaper Editor next year
    Internship: Student Reporter at a Korean newspaper

What I do not see is significant or distinctive achievements, awards, public recognition. The one activity that stands out to me is your volunteer community service. You should explain how your work helped to change lives.

You should show where you provided leadership and unusual initiative. Being on the debate team or newspaper (even as editor) are good EC's but how well did you do as a debater? Were you a champion? In newspaper did you win recognition and awards for your writing?

In general, you've filled all the right boxes with good numbers but I do not see the standout achievements that the highly selective colleges will be attracted to.
  • prezbuckyprezbucky Registered User Posts: 3,184 Senior Member
    edited March 20
    Most of these are reach schools for everyone who isn't hooked.

Middlebury, UVA OOS and Tufts might be low reaches and Kenyon a high match, but none of these even begins to approach a low match or a safety in the RD round. If you like and can afford all of these schools, you've found plenty of reaches -- time now to search for matches and at least one safety. Make sure you run the NPC on each school before applying: there's no sense in applying to a school that will sink you in debt.
    @kjake2000 It is. I was chancing back for another user.
    @mackinaw I intentionally kept them vague for the sake of my security..
    I won verbal mention at Harvard Model UN last year, two journalism awards at my high school, and several other academic achievements.
    If it helps by any chance, I will be doing an internship at a well-known Korean newspaper over the summer.
    I do understand my extracurricular activities are subpar, but thanks for articulating that.
    @prezbucky I see. thanks!
    Fortunately, my father can afford college tuition so that shouldn't be a problem.