Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Would I get accepted to these universities?

emmajayemmajay Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
Would I get accepted to:
- MIT
- Harvard
- UPenn
- UChicago
- CalTech
- Carnegie Mellon
- Stanford
- Emory

SAT I: single sitting 1590/1600 (800 Math, 790 Verbal)
SAT II: 800 Math II, 800 Chem, 780 Spanish
Unweighted GPA: 4.15 My school calculates out of 4.3
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): School doesn't rank; but most likely in top 5 out of ~110
AP (place score in parenthesis):
- Stat 5
- Bio 5
- Calc AB 5
- Spanish Lang 5
- Psych 5
- Chem 5
- Microecon 5 (self-studied)
- Comp Sci A 5 (self-studied)

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):
- Math team (1-4hrs/week)
- An uncommon sport; won't identify it for sake of privacy (6-25hrs/week)
- Robotics (5-10hrs/week)

Awards:
My sport:
- A national title (women's)
- Two runner ups (juniors)
- Went to Junior Worlds 3 times
- Many smaller tournaments (New England, Massachusetts, local ones, etc.)
Math:
- MAML math olympiad state top 100 (three times)
- AIME Qualification
- WOCOMAL Freshman Division Runner-up

Volunteer/Community service:
- 30min/week tutoring kids in music in 9th and 10th grade
- 1hr/week supervising kids at the local library 11th grade

State (if domestic applicant): MA
School Type: Small public, high ranking
Ethnicity: Asian

Replies to: Would I get accepted to these universities?

• Dogcat73Dogcat73 Registered User Posts: 183 Junior Member
    I think you're definitely qualified for these schools. Stanford is kinda hard to tell since all the applicants are similar to you, but I think you're a competitive candidate for all
  • UnhealthyAdmissionAddictionUnhealthyAdmissionAddiction Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    Now I'm curious what your sport is... ping pong?
    Water polo? Billiards?
  • emmajayemmajay Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Haha, yes, billiards! How did you know? Most people wouldn't think of that.
  • writergirl0316writergirl0316 Registered User Posts: 293 Junior Member
    I'm really not sure how admissions work in regards to your uncommon sport, but I'm assuming you're not being recruited. Your SAT, APs & GPA are obviously solid. However, I don't get a clear sense of your interests outside of your sport, which is hard because these are all first and foremost academic institutions. I get that you like math and music, to a lesser extent. Your extracurricular titles are impressive, but they may not impress schools looking to see more about your intellectual passions.

I'll say:
    - MIT - Waitlist
    - Harvard - Waitlist
    - UPenn - Accept
    - UChicago - Heavily depends on essays
    - CalTech - Waitlist/Accept
    - Carnegie Mellon - Waitlist (I hear engineering is ridiculous lol)
    - Stanford - Waitlist
    - Emory - Accept

Best of luck! :)
  • hehaotimhehaotim Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    Hey! You have a good profile in my opinion which makes you competitive at all the schools

So according to me,
    - MIT - Already out
    - Harvard - Waitlist
    - UPenn - Accept
    - UChicago - Already out
    - CalTech - Already out
    - Carnegie Mellon - Waitlist
    - Stanford - Accept/Waitlist
    - Emory - Accept

Good Luck! :)
  • AllenjohnAllenjohn Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    @writergirl0316 I see you everywhere on here and quite honestly I'm a little confused. You're a junior (according to your own chance me threads) and it seems like you always have something negative to say, even if you believe you are giving 'honest advice' or your opinion. It seems to me like you are a great applicant and you know that, and want more people to tell you how many schools you can get into. Maybe I'm just shocked at the fact a person not even applying to colleges would try to tell someone else their chances, but hey, maybe that's just me. No one knows the colleges admissions process like actual admissions officers, so really all we can do or should do is be uplifting to our peers, since they've already applied. I think you have great things going for you, but this website will only make you lose confidence or compare yourself to others. Good luck to you and everyone else in the future.
  • writergirl0316writergirl0316 Registered User Posts: 293 Junior Member
    Hi! Sorry if I seem negative, but contrary to what you seem to be saying below, I tend to be a bit critical because that advice helps me most, and I hope it helps other people be the best applicants they can be. I'm largely asking for more chances in order to feel for whether I should apply to Penn or Yale early, that is all. It seemed to me on here that these threads were mostly juniors & seniors chancing back other juniors & seniors, just for the chance to have an outside perspective. I think we just disagree on what is most useful for applicants, and that's totally cool. I personally believe that harsh advice allows the most room for growth, while you seem to think that giving encouraging feedback is the most important thing. The ability to have a balance of both philosophies-- as well as opinions from people with varying experience-- is why I like posting on here, but I respect your opinion. :) @Allenjohn
  • AllenjohnAllenjohn Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    @writergirl0316 I see what you're saying, but I think being realistic is more important. But at the end of the day, I'm sure 80% of the kids who make chance me threads have already applied and will apply no matter what anyone says. All we can do is tell them to wait it out and try their hardest. Their fate is now in the hands of the admissions officers, and all we can do is be hopeful. Everyone experiences rejections in life, but it shouldn't stop anyone from trying even if others think they have a "low chance". I posted on this website long ago (different account), and everyone told me I wouldn't get into this school just because of my sat score. Well, I got in, and early action too. So we can never be too sure. I know you haven't suggested these to other posters, but I see many people comment and tell a student what they should do to improve their application (not grade or test score wise) like join this club or do this volunteer work. I believe a student should do volunteer work and clubs that they truly enjoy. I don't really think it's fair to critique someone on their ec's because everyone is different. You truly never know how a college will perceive certain things. Thank you for not replying in a rude manner, I realized how my previous comment seemed a little aggressive. I'm sorry.