Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Abroad or Ivy chances?

LinaOaksLinaOaks Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
Hi! I'm a very peculiar case regarding college. I am currently a freshman, but I have reason for stressing so early. I skipped the 8th grade, and have already set in motion to skip the 10th. The first time it was purely from an academic standpoint. Year after year I would sit in class and learn nothing, always being told that it would be more difficult the next year, but it wasn't. I have been on an H4 dependent visa since I was four, but my family job security and personal reasons lead to skip again. I will graduate at 15, but will turn 16 shortly after the school year begins. I am planning on majoring. In mechanical engineering and maybe minoring in something robotic. I am in multiple clubs, do multiple after school activities, have fairly good grades, and am not very stressed. I take a ton of elective courses with a few virtual classes here and there and don't mind missing out. I would have also taken approximately 5 at classes by graduation with everything else as honors. I aim for ivy, mit, and plenty to places abroad. Do I realistically have a chance at some of these places and what could be my course of action if I would like to go to Britain for college (study fully abroad). Any advise relating to my scenario would be great, but I would appreciate it if plausible advise was given to things I can change. Thank you! (I have a previous thread answering with is fine)

Replies to: Abroad or Ivy chances?

• admiral12admiral12 Registered User Posts: 117 Junior Member
    Skipping a grade won't necessarily harm your chances (they do not care how old you are) but it may put you at a disadvantage having had less time to pursue your course interests/ ECs. In order to know your "chances", per say, we need to know academic statistics (rank, UW/W GPA, SAT/ACT scores, course rigor) as well as your extracurricular involvement and being that you're a freshman that's not really feasible right now. But of course you certainly have a chance at these schools if you do well and find an EC related to your major choice and pursue it. Best of luck. But i'd advise not to hang around this site too much until later in your high school career.
  • LinaOaksLinaOaks Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Thank you for your advice. I'm afraid my school doesn't offer any ECs around anything I'm remotely interesting. I'm in the top ten percent (20th class rank). My UW GPA is 4.0 and my weighted is 4.6. I take all honors and 5-6 AP. I do Youth in Govt and Speech and Debate, as well as Atlas, Beta Club, and Honors Societies for French and Math. Even with the extra time off, I will still graduate with 3 more credits than is required. Would this make it easier to decipher my chances? Do you any recommendations for places with programs in the US and abroad regarding MechE or Mechatronics? Thank you!
  • elguapo1elguapo1 Registered User Posts: 256 Junior Member
    If your thinking of the UK, 16 might be a little young for England and Wales at least., I think Scottish high schoolers leave for university at 17. You may wish to check if their is an age issue for student visa's, I am just not sure. The good thing in the UK the universities will only really be interested in you academic performance and your interest in your specific major so I would worry too much about the EC's. Good luck.