Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Anything to improve on?

Panda_XDPanda_XD Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
Im a sophomore in Highschool right now and I was wondering if there was anything i can improve on or get to help me get into a good UC

Grades:
Freshman year 4.0/4.0
Sophomore year: 3.5 ._. I got a B and a C in algebra 2 H and chemistry H/ still working on it but 3.8?
(my school doesnt go above a 4)

EC
Jv basketball (2 years) Team Captain and MVP twice
Red Cross(trying out for cabinet)
MUN
FBLA
Speech and Debate
going to a Leadership Development camp
Internship with Red Cross
VBS (vacation bible school) volunteer for church
Staff Writer for school newspaper
Historian for ACL (american sign language)

PSAT:1100

Majors im thinking about
Biochemistry
Biomedical Sciences
Journalism?
something in the Med department

IS there anything I can do or anything i need to get like
# for ACT Score
gpas for junior year
volunteering at a hospital?

PLEASE HELP ;( the schools I def would love to get into are UCSB UCI UCSD UCLA and CAL
Thanks!!

Replies to: Anything to improve on?

• beepybeetlebeepybeetle Registered User Posts: 415 Member
    edited April 21
    Freshman grades are irrelevant in UC admissions. You need very strong grades (and even stronger if you're OOS) and decently strong test scores. ECs aren't as important for UCs (but they do help). Take rigorous classes, get a solid SAT, like at least a 1450ish, and make sure you keep your grades up from here on out. Also if you want anything med, you should aim for the holy trinity of AP Calc, Physics and Chem to have a decent chance of surviving.
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 1,715 Senior Member
    If you want to major in biochemistry or anything in biology or medicine, then it would seem like a good idea to avoid getting any more C's in science classes. Also, algebra is core to a LOT of future classes in STEM. I think that for any STEM field job #1 is to keep ahead in your math and science classes. If you do your homework the day that it is handed out, then you are a bit ahead for the next class, and will pick up just a little bit more. Over time this can help a lot (I didn't learn this until graduate school).

SAT preparation is pretty obvious also.
  • Panda_XDPanda_XD Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    thank you!
  • yaledad2021yaledad2021 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    You DEFINITELY need to bring up your gpa, especially in science and math classes. If you want to go into anything biology related you should do research at a local university or hospital volunteering. Also, improve your standerized testing scores (1100 is a bit low for psat, unless you study for your sat).
  • GumbymomGumbymom Registered User Posts: 17,808 Senior Member
    edited April 23
    You are a Sophomore, so you have gotten good advice in the above posts. UC's use 10-11th grades in their GPA calculation and if you are OOS, only AP/IB or DE courses get the Honors points in the calculation.

https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

You need to aim for a UC GPA of 4.0+ and SAT scores in the 1300+ range or at least a 31+ ACT for the best chances at most of the UC's. UC's tend to be GPA focused, but they will all review your application based on GPA/Test Scores/HS course rigor/Essays and EC's. Each campus may emphasize some areas more than others so overall you want a complete and competitive package. Intended major is also a big factor in determining your chances so pick wisely.

Each year the UC's publish their Freshman profile which shows the 25th and 75th percentile for UC GPA and test scores. The 2017 Freshman profiles should be out in August.

Just do your best in your classes, prep for the SAT/ACT and continue with the EC's you enjoy. At the end of Junior year, repost with your stats and more suggestions will be forthcoming.

Just some GPA info for the UC's:
    Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.40-3.79:

UCB: 2%
    UCLA: 3%
    UCSD: 6%
    UCD: 15%
    UCSB: 14%
    UCI: 13%
    UCSC: 59%
    UCR: 78%
    UCM: 92%

Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19: