Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

great in all areas but test scores

LibbyALibbyA Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
Hi--I am a junior at a public high school. I am interested in political science
Here is my info:
over 4.0 (should be well over) GPA, will graduate with 13 AP classes and all As except honors chemistry, which I despise!
Rank 10th in class of 600 at a good public school
For the 3 AP tests that I have gotten my scores back for, I received 5s on all (AP human geography, AP world History and AP psychology), will soon have 4 more scores, recently took tests
Bad part: SAT 1320 and ACT 28 HOWEVER, I am going to take again and know I can bring scores up (being tutored in math now, reading and lang scores are very high, math not so much), the question is how much? I doubt I will do much more than 1400 new SAT.
My extra-curricular is strong, especially in leadership: Student government all 4 years, Governor of Georgia and Tennessee Joii (Junior Optimist International) club, as well as secretary; Beta club (which requires a lot of community service), National Honor Society, Girls State (very selective junior girls chosen for state program, one week away in summer (free) to participate in faux government activities, etc), was a page in state senate, received variety of awards within clubs, chosen as a freshman mentor in my high school and recently took over mentoring planning, focusing on suicide prevention after 2 student suicides this year.
I was on the swim team freshman year, but did not letter. I am VERY involved in musical theater and acting both in and out of school. I attended the inauguration of President Trump, which was open to AP history and gov students.
Math and science are not my thing, so I have not taken the highest level courses in those--not taking physics, but am taking AP environmental Science, not taking Calc, but am taking AP Stats. Will have 4 years of Spanish, including AP Spanish when I graduate.
I expect to have excellent recommendations. I am smart and VERY hard working, determined and dedicated, BUT I am not brilliant (you know those people who barely open a book)
I am social but kind of nerdy and want to be surrounded by hard working motivated people. I don't want a party school (I know there is partying at all schools, but don't want a school that is known for it). I'm not big on sororities, at least would like to be able to have good social life without drinking.I am religious and politically conservative, although I don't have to be at a right leaning school, but I would like an environment where all view points are accepted and it won't be held against me.
Here are some schools I am interested in: UNC Chapel Hill, Davidson, Princeton, Emory, Georgetown, possibly Duke. I am worried that I won't get into any of these. My fall back school is UGA, but I don't want to go there (I live in GA and it is also cheapest, unless I get great financial aid). Can I get into any of these schools and if not, does anyone have any suggestions as to a good fit for me?
Thank you!

Replies to: great in all areas but test scores

• billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 15,162 Senior Member
    The good news is, your test scores are the easiest thing to improve within 6 months than other credentials.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 5,367 Senior Member
    edited May 17
    There are so many excellent test optional colleges today. Don't spend an inordinate amount of time taking stents with so many great options. There will be colleges that wil snap you up. Just google, you will be amazed at the choices.
  • ponte_bella011599ponte_bella011599 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    I agree with going test optional! Specifically, I would reccomend looking at American University or George Washington University. I submitted my sat score of 1270 ( I probably shouldn't have) and got accepted to American . They also gave me grants totaling more then half tuition (and I come from a higher middle class income family). My friend got into George Washington with an sat score of 1150 (she went test optional) and she was given great financial aid also.
  • callogan44callogan44 Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    Maybe look into Wake Forest that's a very strong test optional school.
    There are many excellent LACs that are test optional. Bowdoin, Bates, Holy Cross, Wesleyan, F&M, Skidmore, Pitzer, many others.
  • HarvardBound50HarvardBound50 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    I don't see much hope
    Really helpful response above^^^. SMH.

Can I urge you to look at liberal arts colleges. I just read your post again, and you seem to be the perfect candidate for one. LACs have smaller classes. You will get to know profs and students. You will have opportunities as an undergrad that undergrads at universities don't have. There are a lot of LACs with world-class reputations. They have excellent acceptance rates to grad school. They tend to have active an involved alumni. They have close-knit communities and people who look out for each other. They also have a lot of great bonuses and plenty of clubs and activities. You sound like a great student and there will be plenty of colleges that will snap you up. Don't restrict yourself by applying to colleges that insist on test scores. Good luck.
  • wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 2,328 Senior Member
    The schools you list are very competitive and not taking calculus and physics will put you at a disadvantage. You may want to reconsider taking calc next year. You seem to like the Southern schools, so maybe look at Rhodes and Elon. @Lindagaf had some great suggestions too.
  • LibbyALibbyA Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Great! Thanks! Also, I was planning to take calc, but my counselor said AP stats would more helpful for political science. I love mid-atlantic area, but I am from Georgia, so interested in both
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 793 Member
    "you know those people who barely open a book"

I know a lot of them. Most (perhaps all?) of them eventually run into a wall where they have to open the book and study. Some of them don't know how to do so when this happens and struggle for a bit until they figure it out.

Regardless, 1320 is fairly decent, although if you can improve it a bit that will help. I have seen some students go up 100 points with SAT preparation, which would get you into a very good range.

There are quite a few test optional colleges out there. LACs are particularly likely to be test-optional, or in some cases not look at SATs at all. As one example: my youngest did VERY well on the SAT, but is nonetheless about to start (in September) as a school that doesn't look at SAT scores just because that is the school that she decided she wants to go to.

Unfortunately I can't suggest anything in the south. We are a northern family.