Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Please chance me: Do I have a shot at RPI, Georgia Tech, NC State and Purdue?

mevmev Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I have pretty good test scores, average GPA and rank, but I took a lot of AP's so my Weighted GPA is strong, but my EC's are weak. Also, my father went to RPI, so maybe legacy helps there? I really want to go to one of these schools for Engineering or Physics but I don't know if I have a good shot or not. I worry my rank will hurt me. It is tough to get a good rank at my school because the grading system has no + or _ and tons of kids take lots of AP's. I would appreciate any help.

GPA: 3.68 UW., 4.57 W.
SAT: 750 Math 730 Reading
SAT II: 790 Math 2, 780 Biology
ACT: 34
AP's: AP Calc AB (5), AP Calc BC (5), APUSH (5), AP HUGE (5), AP Biology (5)
College Courses: Microbiology and biotechnology - 3 credits, Grade: 93

I will be taking these AP Classes Senior year: AP Chem, AP Stats, AP Physics, AP Music Theory, AP US Gov't & Politics

Extracurriculars:
Astro Club - 3 years, Officer
Local Teen Youth Council - Volunteer 3 years

Replies to: Please chance me: Do I have a shot at RPI, Georgia Tech, NC State and Purdue?

• ccsch48ccsch48 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    You have a very high weighted GPA and I'm surprised you're only top 21%.
    Schools care more about the rigorousness of your classes and how you did in them. You aced all your APs, got a high score on your SATs, and have good extracurriculars, so I'm confident you'll get into these school.
  • HamurtleHamurtle Registered User Posts: 316 Member
    Add UIUC, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, and UW-Madison as public schools with good engineering programs to your list as well.