Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Freshman Year to College

MisterKicksMisterKicks Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited July 17 in What Are My Chances?
Hi everyone,
I'm currently finishing my freshman year at Stuyvesant High School in New York City, which is often considered one of the top high schools in NYC, if not the best. I currently have a 91 average because of a hard adjustment into high school, but I am confident I can do better. I also took AP Human Geography this year. How are my chances to getting into top ivys, esp. UPenn's Wharton programs? I am very interested in business and I am on marketing on Robotics and the financial division in the Student Union (government)
Post edited by Chedva on

Replies to: Freshman Year to College

• SyrxisSyrxis Registered User Posts: 205 Junior Member
    What are your ECs or intended ECs? A 91 is rough but if you can raise it over the next few years you could have a chance. But really, it is wayyyy too early to say.
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 1,455 Senior Member
    "it is wayyyy too early to say"

I agree. Your next two years will matter more than the year you just finished. There are some universities (eg, the Universities of California and any in Canada) that I have heard don't even look at freshman year grades at all. Test scores will also be important.
  • f102naf102na Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    i just finished my senior year at stuy, and though i didn't apply to wharton, i have friends who did. i wish i was like you freshman year, because college was the furthest thing from my mind. if your goal is upenn, you do have to start putting in work, but you should take a breath. don't let college rule your high school experience.

to get into the schools you want, you should take more ap classes and you should get your average above the 91 you have now, which i'm sure you will be able to do this early on in hs, but that means that you'll need to get around a 95.5 average both soph and junior year in order to reach a 94 gpa, which is no easy feat, so i would put energy into sat/act prep and outstanding extracurriculars. whenever you feel like giving up, like when it's 2am and you're tired, remind yourself why you're studying and think of the bigger picture. sophomore year and junior year were pretty tough, but if you're willing to put in the work, it'll be worth it in the end.

stay active in school! it's great you're doing these ecs. don't be afraid to reach for leadership roles or joining some clubs for fun that may be out of your comfort zone or starting your own club. (i suggest doing big sibs/arista/spectator if you're interested in any of those). don't spend your summers doing nothing! apply for SYEP, ladders for leaders, internships, volunteer work, study abroad programs. read the student opportunities emails that get sent to your stuy.edu because they're actually very helpful when looking for activities to do outside of school.

and of course, do well on your standardized testing. oh, and sharpen up your essay writing skills over the next couple years, because you'll be writing a bunch of them soon.

some unsolicited advice:

the very fact that you care about college right now is commendable, but the reality is, you won't be applying for college in a while. and wharton might not be your dream when that time comes. i suggest enjoying your time as stuy as much as you can, because as cliche as it is, it goes by way faster than you think. college is important, but no matter where you end up going, you'll be fine. not everyone's going to get into an ivy (unfortunately, i didn't, which is why i felt compelled to write to you and advise you to do things that i didn't), but that's okay. there are lots of colleges out there, and you should take your time and do research on what's your best fit academically, environmentally, and definitely financially. a lot of my friends have had to turn down their preferred college simply because the tuition was too high. where you go to college is not a reflection of how smart you are necessarily, it can be a reflection of your general circumstance.

i wish you the best of luck in your three years at stuyvesant. you'll get through it!!!
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 29,307 Senior Member
    edited July 17
    91 is fine, especially from Stuy.
    Don't stay up till 2am BTW. Lack of sleep will harm your brain and body. I understand that at Stuy the 8-9 hours of sleep needed at your age may be elusive, but aim for that.
    Push your math studies: take MV, stats and advanced stats, discrete math.
    Find one humanities or social science you're really good at and push that, too. If you're good at a foreign language, see if you can dual enroll so that you're taking 300-level classes senior year. (That would help if you're aiming for Huntsman).
    For the rest, standard Stuy fare will be more than fine, and better than most.
    With that in mind, next step is ec's:
    Position yourself for DECA competitions ? For Research Jr/SR year?
    Most of all, do NOT hyperfocus on any one school with sub 20% acceptance rates. Talk with your parents: run the Penn NpC together: can they afford the result? What about NYU Stern? Columbia? Fordham? Georgetown? Stanford? Middlebury? Colgate?
  • WeTheBestWeTheBest Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    A lot can change in those last years. I went from having a 3.55 Freshman year to 3.95 Sophomore year (The average is 3.75).