Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Chance me for top colleges!!!

robhamilrobhamil Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
Bio:
-Citizenship: USA
-State of residence: California
-Class: middle class/upper
-Race: Asian (Indian)

High School:
-HIGHLY COMPETITIVE (lool)
-95% asian
-around 450 students in the 2018 graduating class

Academic Profile:

Sophomore year:

Honors English: B+
Chem: B+
Spanish: B
ALG 2: A+
World Hist: A
HINDI: A
(3.5) for both semesters

Junior year: 1st sem
Pre-calc: B+
AP Stats: A
AP World History: A+
APUSH: B
Honors English: B
Digital Imaging: A

2nd sem ( I put in ALOT of effort second sem)
Pre-Calc: A
AP Stats: A
AP World History: A+
APUSH; A+
Digital Imaging: A
Honors English: B+
Macroeconomics: A+ (community college)
Microeconomics: A+ (community college)
(4.5 weighted)(3.83 unweighted) APUSH is considered one of the hardest courses in my school. If I were to make a educated guess, I would say that 20% of the kids that took the course, around 10 kids, got an A. Just to provide a broad scale of where i stand in my school, i would say that a 4.5 2nd sem gpa is placed in the top 10% of my class.

*(I need to take one more science to meet the requirement, so I'm taking Physics next year. On top of that, I'm taking AP Lit, AP Human GEO, APCS, CALC, GOV/ECON)

-Standardized Scores:
-AP's: 3's in APUSH and AP Stats (I filled out a form for a re score because I expected at least a 4 for each test)
-ACT: N/A
-SAT: 1450 on the new SAT
-SAT II: 710 Math II, 750 US History (hopefully my US Hist SAT makes up for my AP score)

EC:
- 2 time gold medal winner of the Presidential service award (I have two letters signed by Pres. Obama)
- Over 150 documented Hours of service, 100 undocumented but they counted towards the award
- Volunteered at an underprivileged summer camp, food shelter, thrift store. As of right now, I'm volunteering as a Data analyst in a public library
- Internship at a startup that creates a fitbit type product
-President of the "Business and law club"
-Played on the school soccer team for 3 years

Schools I'm looking at:
- Early admission:
- Carnegie Mellon-tepper school of business
- Normal:
- UC Berkeley
- UC Irvine
- UC Davis
- UC San Diego
- UCLA
- UC Santa Barbara
- Indiana-Bloomington
- University of Washington
- Emory (stretch school)
- UT Austin
- USC
-Purdue

MAJOR: ECONOMICS
MINOR: CS
(I understand that some of my grades aren't that great, but I'm hoping that some schools will look at my Junior year grades and take that into strong consideration. Please feel free to be as open as possible! Obviously there are a handful of schools on the list that are going to reject me, but I would definitely like some input on my chances! THANKS!!!)

Replies to: Chance me for top colleges!!!

• VANDEMORY1342VANDEMORY1342 Registered User Posts: 435 Member
    @robhamil
    Are you applying ED or EAdmit Junior to CMU?? I'm assuming ED for my prediction.
    Early admission:
    - Carnegie Mellon-tepper school of business- Low Reach/ Reach
    - UC Berkeley- High Match/ Low Reach
    - UC Irvine- Match
    - UC Davis- Match
    - UC San Diego- Match
    - UCLA- High Match/ Low Reach
    - UC Santa Barbara- Low Match
    - Indiana-Bloomington- Match
    - University of Washington- Low Match/ Match
    - Emory (stretch school)- Reach
    - UT Austin- Low Reach/ Reach
    - USC- Low Reach/ Reach
    -Purdue- Low Match/ Safety
    You need more Safeties
  • Interested1945Interested1945 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    For your academics it would have been nice to see your freshman grades also so a complete transcript could be shown. UC is a for sure. Carnegie is reach. Purdue is safety. Add more safety schools.
  • robhamilrobhamil Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    @VANDEMORY1342 Thanks for the response! Do you recommend any good safety schools that are worth applying to? I will probably add Ohio State and UIUC as two extra safety schools.
  • VANDEMORY1342VANDEMORY1342 Registered User Posts: 435 Member
    @robhamil
    U Rochester, U Richmond, Penn State, Virginia Tech, Elon.
  • preppedparentpreppedparent Registered User Posts: 1,609 Senior Member
    UCB and UCLA are high reaches for all due to selectivity.
  • ConcernedRabbitConcernedRabbit Registered User Posts: 146 Junior Member
    I am a firm believer that you only really need two safety school, and then you're okay. Why waste time applying for four safeties and four reaches, when you could apply to two safeties and six reaches. Think about it this way. If you apply to four safeties, than you can guarantee you get into four school, most likely a couple of those safeties you won't even really like. Now, if you picked two solid safeties that you really liked, and everything went wrong, and you only got into those two, then you would be fine, just as fine as if you had gotten into four safeties while not liking two. You can only go to one college. It doesn't matter if we get accepted into 12 schools or just 2, everyone is picking just one to attend. The only difference is that now, with six reach applications, you have a better chance of possibly getting into a top school, since you have six tickets in the lottery rather than four.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't have safeties. I'm just saying you really don't need a lot of them. I only really have one... :)
  • ConcernedRabbitConcernedRabbit Registered User Posts: 146 Junior Member
    And UIUC is definitely not a safety for computer science...Like they are the fourth best CS college in all of America. You also have to apply specially for their computer science program.
  • aneeshs17aneeshs17 Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    No way!! I'm an Asian/Indian with same exact stats. 3.83 UW, 4.50 W, top 10% as well. I'm also looking at CMU, Emory, UTA, and USC for biz/data anlytics/IS as well. You have a fantastic chance at all those schools, good luck :)
  • Muad_dibMuad_dib Registered User Posts: 311 Member
    U Rochester, U Richmond, Penn State, Virginia Tech, Elon.

Rochester is not a safety for this profile.
  • robhamilrobhamil Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Update: I'm probably going to add Ohio State and The University of Arizona as safety schools