Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Will I get into UCLA or Columbia?

2»

Replies to: Will I get into UCLA or Columbia?

• sparkykoolkatsparkykoolkat Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    Unfortunately, Columbia is out of reach. Columbia doesn't accept students with 4.0 and 1550 SAT, so I don't think there is any way they will accept a student with a 2.2 GPA freshman year. UCLA is a high reach, mostly because while they don't look at freshman grades, they will glance over them to see if there are any glaring red flags. In your case, a 2.2 GPA is a big red flag.
  • JamesTheKingJamesTheKing Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Same thing happened to me freshman year but I moved a month to the new district and it was a whole new curriculum and I struggled throughout freshman year. I did decent sophomore year. I think it's pretty out of reach but never know! Chance me back!

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/2011167-chance-me-please-from-illinois-p1.html?new=1
  • Dovahkiin012200Dovahkiin012200 Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    I did the same thing except I messed up in middle school, I had a 1.9 GPA. But now I'm on track to be Valedictorian of my class with a 4.64 GPA. An upward trend might even look better since you can write about your change (I know I did).
2»