Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Will I get into UCLA or Columbia?

rainbowdustrainbowdust Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
Ok so I've been seeing a lot of discussions on here where people are saying they did "extremely bad" in freshman year when they only got two Bs, meanwhile I completely flopped my freshman year and got a 2.3 the first semester and a 2.1 the second. And honestly to say I sabotaged my future would be quite an understatement. A lot of discussions on here are saying a lot of colleges take in account your grade trends, so I was thinking if I actually tried and got a 3.8 or a 4.0 ( I know I can do it, I got bad grades to purposely rebel against my parents since they didn't put me in the hs I wanted, and I know that was an incredibly stupid decision but I can't go back and change the past ) so is it still possible for me to get into colombia, UCLA, or any of the other ivies?

Replies to: Will I get into UCLA or Columbia?

• pianoswimpianoswim Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    You certainly have a shot if you improve! Try to get or as close as you can to a 4.0. Take a lot of Honors and AP classes as well. Also, nail your SAT/ACT, as they are just as important as your GPA.

Lastly, don't discount extracurricular activities! Participate in a sport! Join a club! Don't do everything, though, try to concentrate on a few activities that you really enjoy and can excell in.

Also, UCLA is not an ivy...
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 10,509 Senior Member
    And UCLA gives no financial aid to out of state students.

Alienating your parents is not a good idea when you will need them to pay your college expenses.
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk Registered User Posts: 633 Member
    UCLA won't consider 9th grade when they calculate their GPA but they will look at the transcript, so you'll have to explain, especially if you have a D. Don't bring too much attention to it though, just say you struggled first year (don't blame anyone, accept the responsibility) and then you figured it out.
  • rainbowdustrainbowdust Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Aha yah I know it's not an ivy it's just one of my dream schools but thank you for the advice! I needed that little burst of hope.
    True heh but I live in Cali so that shouldn't be a problem.
    Okkk thank youuu!
  • Studious99Studious99 Registered User Posts: 712 Member
    Stanford doesn't look at freshman year grades!
  • smahm200smahm200 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    You'll be fine. As long as you improve, it really isn't a big deal. In fact, it'll make you stand out.
    Yayyyy!
    That definitely motivates me to do better thank you sm!
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk Registered User Posts: 633 Member
    edited August 6
    "Stanford doesn't look at freshman year grades!"

I wouldn't go that far - while they primarily consider 10-12th(first semester), they will look at 9th grade for red flags, which this is, and to make sure you completed the required courses for admission that were taken in ninth. So you have to explain an almost doubling of the gpa.

"You'll be fine. As long as you improve, it really isn't a big deal. In fact, it'll make you stand out."

Well you'll stand out but not in a good way. The OP does not have any mitigating conditions or circumstances for the grades, it could stand out if the OP had a LD that say got addressed after ninth or maybe had a sports injury that needed surgery, where you could talk about overcoming something.
  • mellamoustedmellamousted Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    Uh that was an interesting move to tank 9th grade, but just improve and colleges will see the upward trend.
  • thalayathalaya Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    I'm gonna be honest. Unless you do something pretty spectacular all of a sudden, Ivys are pretty out of reach. To get into Ivys you have to have a 3.8-4.0 and impressive extracurriculars and volunteering, etc. But definitely improve your GPA, you can get into a great school. But unless you do something very impressive and unique, your 2.3 in freshman year is going to stop you from getting into most top 20 schools.
    Do not be discouraged! There are plenty of great colleges that are not top-ranked by US News or other sites.
  • lowkeyveryhighkeylowkeyveryhighkey Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    edited August 11
    You can do it. I got my GPA from a 2.6 to a 4.3. There's a chance but make sure your SAT is also high.
  • beepybeetlebeepybeetle Registered User Posts: 415 Member
    Columbia? You'll have a lot of explaining to do before admissions will let you in if you had a 2.2ish for a year...