Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Could I Get Into UT Austin?

vicvicvicksterrvicvicvicksterr Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hi y'all!

I went on a campus visit at UT Austin 3 weeks ago and really loved the atmosphere and overall feel of the school and I would really like to go there. However, I'm not sure if my chances are slim with where I am academically and extracurricularly:

- 3.85 GPA (unweighted)
- Top 10%
- 1170 on SAT (I know, it's pretty low and I really need to study)
- I've been taking all pre-AP and AP classes since sophomore year and am doing so my senior year as well
- AP English Exam score: 4
- Around 250 community service hours (it should be about 350 by the end of my senior year)
- In NHS, NEHS (officer), Student VOICES (a group of students that plan a diversity conference)
- Industry Representive for gynecology in the medical science academy at my school
- I'm a mentor to two incoming freshman
- I volunteer at the VA, Houston Food Bank, Goodwill and this nursing home
- I also assisted in a research project under the director of the Center of Infectious Diseases. Should I put that in my resume?

Speaking of which, what should I include in my resume? And is submitting my application around mid-September a good or bad idea?

Please let me know! Thanks(:

Replies to: Could I Get Into UT Austin?

• GTAustinGTAustin Registered User Posts: 719 Member
    Your chances are slim because you are not in the top 7% and your SAT score is low. Your ECs look very good and I would include the research project in your resume. Your major choice might make the difference on whether you will be accepted. As far as timing, I would retake the SAT and then submit. Do apply to other schools.