Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

3rd week in and I think I should drop out

Failure60Failure60 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
Hi I'm a student at a medium sized school in west Texas I'm a political science major from Austin Texas. The cut to the chase I'm gonna say it like this. Last night in the midst of my depression debating whether or not I should go to class I realized that since high school I haven't done any math since probably my sophomore year why you ask? Because I cheated I went to 6 different schools bc of me getting in trouble I started to think about and and hell I barely graduated middle school.when I talk cheating I mean parent assisted cheating as Well my whole junior and senior year I let my parents literally do all my work and they were ok with that because social studies and history are my strong point. I'm 3 weeks in the semester and I've already missed 4 whole days of class I'm not confident in my ability to pass any of them I don't think I made the right decision coming here I'm extremely depressed not to mention I've already had trouble with the law here and have been arrested once and have had my car towed because I'm under criminal investigation... I know I'm a failure I just need advice on how to be a better failure and If I should save alot of money and start packing my bags now or try and continue this destructive path I've already set myself thank you.

Replies to: 3rd week in and I think I should drop out

• 123Mom456123Mom456 Registered User Posts: 628 Member
    I think you should go to your school's counseling center and seek professional help. I would npt continue down the path you are on but it is possible to change your path.
  • sgopal2sgopal2 Registered User Posts: 2,680 Senior Member
    Why is this in the chances forum?
  • Failure60Failure60 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    It's my first time using this thing I was thinking like what are the chances I won't be on academic probation after the first semester
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 13,269 Senior Member
    Yes, on campus counseling would be helpful to have a listening ear and sort through your thoughts and issues, real or perceived.

Do you have to take math this semester, or even after?

Even if you've missed a few days, it's not too late to buckle down and make things work.

Several weeks into school is too early to pull the pug on college, IMO.

Drop by the health center tomorrow or wherever the counseling center is and set up an appointment as soon as possible. Talk to your advisor as well.

Can you provide more color on the legal issues? How serious is it?
  • JustGraduateJustGraduate Registered User Posts: 659 Member
    You may be painting a darker picture than reality about your academic background. Even if your parents did your work for you, they didn't take the tests for you did they? So you do have some mastery of that material - right? And they didn't take the SAT/ACT for you so again, you have more mastery of material than you are giving yourself credit for. But you know now how much harm this approach has done to you (psychological and academic) and need to switch to doing things "right". Do you need help understanding how to function in the "real world" of not cheating and taking responsibility for yourself? Like others suggest, I'd go TODAY, like right now over to the counseling center and get in ASAP. Don't leave there until you have an appointment in the next day or so. I would also look at academic counseling ASAP, see if they can help you get on track. See about dropping a class or 2 to get down to a more manageable work load given the adjustments you have in front of you.

As for legal, get the best attorney possible NOW.. And realize that this had better be rock bottom, and you have to fight your way up from here. Stay away from whatever temptations you have on the legal/criminal side of things. You have deeper resources of strength internally than you realize, tap into them now.
  • bopperbopper Registered User Posts: 7,556 Senior Member
    Right now you are realizing that your life is not going on the path you wish. Most likely because of your parents, you have learned that the "ends justify the means"...that is, getting an A in math is what matters, not that you did the work to learn the material. As you know, at some point you get to the point that this cheating doesn't work anymore... you are responsible for yourself. Same thing for the legal issue...you decided (or were unaware) that you didn't need to obey that law.

So given that you want to change your direction, you need coaching on how to do that. I think since your parents were complicit in this, you need to talk to someone else. The easiest method is the Counseling Center at your school. They are here to help you. I would neither pack your bags nor keep on the same path...find a new path. Use the resources at school.

As far as the legal issue, get a lawyer. Your parents will help with the cost.. The lawyer will help you get in the minimum trouble that can be possible.