Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Do I still have a chance to even if I didn't take the SAT my Junior Year?

sylviana6ghostsylviana6ghost Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
Okay so currently, I am a High school Senior with a 3.179 GPA and my grades are in the high 80's.

My guidance counselor advised me to keep my grades up at a 4.5 grade scale so that they may boost my gpa. My GPA only has a chance of reaching 3.4-3.6 if I keep my grades up.

My grades in my Junior year are a B-Average and my current grades are lookng about the same but are in the high B's. I just started this school year but it goes by really fast and it makes me nervous.

These are my top choices of schools to attend:

- College of Charleston (I really wanna go here)

^ SAT Scores: 1110 to 1195 (Avg-), 1195 to 1280 (Avg+), 1280 and Above (Good)
^ ACT scores: 23 to 25 (Avg-), 25 to 28 (Avg+), 28 and Above (Good)

I didn't take the SAT at all my Junior year and got a 16 on my ACT my Junior year.

>So my question is overall, is it extremely bad that I didn't prepare better my Junior year? And while in my Senior year would it look bad as if I'm trying to get organized and get tests done at the last minute? And is this 'last minute' thing going to lessen my chances of getting into a college at all?

- Howard of University
- Kennesaw State University,
- UCLA

I got a 16 on my ACT in my Junior year and I didn't take the PSAT or SAT at all my Junior year. I took the ACT once and failed. I didn't study all summer and basically slacked. I've started studying this year for the ACT on Octber 28th, December 9th, April 14 2018, and July 14th 2018.

I'm planning on taking the SAT and I'd have to ask my guidance counselor for the dates and when I have to schedule that. But I am honestly scared and have had mental breakdowns because I feel like if I studied more earlier, had my grades up earlier in the start of high school, if I had a better mindset, I'd be in a much less stressful situation. I feel like if I don't pass, I'm going to struggle and not get into college at all.

Replies to: Do I still have a chance to even if I didn't take the SAT my Junior Year?

• waterbrether725waterbrether725 Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    I've started studying this year for the ACT on Octber 28th, December 9th, April 14 2018, and July 14th 2018.

Im pretty sure you said you were a senior. April 2018 and July 2018 are way too late to be taking the ACT.
  • billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 16,498 Senior Member
    You may want to take a gap year.
  • nightsilvernightsilver Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Some colleges accept the October ACT date, but nothing later than that.
  • sylviana6ghostsylviana6ghost Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Is it too late to take the SAT too?
  • billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 16,498 Senior Member
    @nightsilver Don't mix up with EA/ED applications. For RD or rolling applicants, there are at least 2 more test dates for each test after October and still be accepted by most colleges.
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 2,348 Senior Member
    I don't know how UCLA got on your list, but you should forget about it.

You should do some SAT preparation and take it soon. You might want to call admissions at schools that you are considering and see whether they are okay with the December 2 date. You should be able to get in enough preparation before then.

Try to pull up your grades for this year. For example, if you either take a gap year, or take one year in community college and try to transfer after one year, then your senior year grades will matter.
  • sylviana6ghostsylviana6ghost Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Okay, thank you. I plan on going to a Community college for 1 year because I feel it is the safest and easiest way to save money.
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 2,227 Senior Member
    Community college does not usually require the SAT or ACT. It will only save you money if your credits transfer. The best way to have your credits transfer is to meet with your academic advisor to understand which colleges the community college has articulated agreements with and which courses are in those agreements.