Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Chance for Dartmouth and Cornell ED

HolyCheeseballsHolyCheeseballs Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
edited October 12 in What Are My Chances?
Hey! I really wanted to apply to Dartmouth (Computer Science and Econ major) or Cornell (Hotel school) ED. I'm just not sure if I am overestimating myself.

Classes: All honors
5 APs this year (Lang 5, Comp Sci 4, Calc AB 5, Bio 4, APUSH 4)
4 APs next year (Lit, Comp Sci Prin, Stat, Macro, mb French)

GPA: 3.7/4.0 (unweighted)...4.2 weighted (top 8-12%)
SAT: 1560
SAT 2: 780 Bio E, 780 Math 2

Extracurriculars

President/Founder of The Coding Girls - taught 200 girls (regional organization)
President Geek League (library tech help)
Principal's Leadership Academy
Principal's Council Executive Board

Volunteer Services of the Arts - Special Needs Music Teacher

Editor, Exec Board Model UN (Nationals, North American Invitational, bunch of awards)
Vice Pres Hindu Society

Science Olympiad (2nd state anatomy, 6th region bio blitz, 4th state forestry)
Science League (Biology 2 - school 8th in state)

Her Culture - Blog Editor, Magazine Writer, Blog Writer
Clover Letter - Remote Intern, Article Contributor, Brand Ambassador
Her Campus High School Ambassador
Intern for Phil Murphy (governor's election)
Intern for AXA insurance
Intern for Marketing Consulting Firm in Trenton, NJ
Sand Cloud Brand Ambassador
Writing on Her Culture, Powered by Girl, Spark Blogger, Clover Letter, hopefully germ magazine too

Oh and if you haven't figured this out yet by my ecs, I'm an Indian girl (middle class). I came here when I was 1. I also have a severely autistic brother who I will most likely talk about on my common app essay.

Replies to: Chance for Dartmouth and Cornell ED

• kjake2000kjake2000 Registered User Posts: 856 Member
    I think your ECs and profile make you much more competitive at Dartmouth for CS.
  • dj48023dj48023 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I think you can definitely make it into the Cornell Hotel school if you ED. the acceptance rates go way higher, and I believe the hotel school is one of the easiest out of the others to get into. I'd work on trying to unify your EC's, meaning mentioning them without overloading
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,191 Senior Member
    Is there some story behind these 2 so different majors, some pressure? Nothing you've done suggests an interest in hotel mgt.

And what will matter is what courses you got less than an A grade in.
  • tappybluetappyblue Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    The hotel school, from past experience, places some amount of weight on hospitality industry work experience. From some of the interviewers I know, that is important.
  • iwantanAiwantanA Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Dartmouth and Cornell are literally complete opposites of each other, the fact that you are considering ED for both of those at the same time worries me. Also, if you want to do CS you should go to Cornell, Dartmouth isn't nearly as strong. Just out of curiosity- what draws you to both of these schools?
  • HolyCheeseballsHolyCheeseballs Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    @iwantanA they are both in remote locations and have good programs
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,191 Senior Member
    edited October 21
    ^ good luck with a Why Us question. Having "good programs" isn't enough for a tippy top, it's considered generic. We can suppose you have more detailed reasons. But considering these two colleges/paths are so different, we don't understand what you're after. If you're thinking adcoms will make your decision for you (ie, admit you to one and not the other,) you're still going to need to show experience, explain yourself well, and convince them you're committed and will thrive, to get any admit. And we could name hundreds of rural (or ish) colleges.
    If you want 'good programs' especially for CS, Cornell has better matriculation and a stronger program overall. Looking at your stats, I don't think a rural location is for you. Especially if you want to do something like networking or marketing, there's literally no one to network with if you are in an isolated area. And at least Cornell has some night life and social activity, Dartmouth is literally in the middle of no where with not as many students. I dont think you suit these schools, at least not Dartmouth. Have you visited?
    Im just trying to warn you before you make a wrong decision that you will regret for 4 years.