Hi - I am a senior at a very small (145 kids in my class) high school in rural Iowa, but have absolutely fallen in love with the University of Michigan.
I have a composite score of 30 on the ACT, and a writing score of 11.
My class rank is 1 out of 145.
I have a 4.0 GPA on an unweighted, 4.0 scale. This includes college (dual enrollment) and AP classes.
I have taken AP Language and Composition, and received a 5 on the AP exam. This May, I will take the AP Micro, AP Macro, and AP Literature tests. I have not taken more AP classes because our school only offers one AP class "in house" (AP Literature, available only to seniors advanced in English) and last year, I began the pilot program for online AP classes. My AP Lang, AP Micro, and AP Macro classes are online.
I was advanced a year ahead in English, Spanish, Science, and Math classes; however, my school does not offer 'honors' versions of these courses. The best you can do is take a class a year early - for example, a sophomore taking Algebra II, which is traditionally for juniors at my school.
My extracurriculars are as follows:
- Student Council (Class Secretary grades 9-11, Courtesy Commissioner grades 10-11, Lieutenant Governor grade 11, Village Leader grade 12)
- Mock Trial (Varsity all four years - senior season not yet started, only four-year varsity member in the class of 2018, three state qualifications, two regional championships, two state placewinning years, several all-regional outstanding witness/attorney awards, several all-state honorable mention witness/attorney awards)
- Coaching Mock Trial (Junior year I helped lead two middle school teams to state, and led one team to the finals for a state runner-up award)
- Dance (thirteen years, with a seven-year focus on pointe ballet; am dancing the lead role in this year's production)
- Cross Country (participated grades 9-11, leading JV member freshman year and alternate for varsity team, varsity sophomore and junior years. Part of the state qualifying team sophomore year)
- Best Buddies (grades 10-12, serve as a "peer buddy" and am matched with a special needs student to plan and participate in activities with)
- Individual Speech (state qualifier junior year, senior year TBD)
- Work as a cook/cashier/waitress at the local bowling (grades 10-11, approx. 15 hours a week)
- Work as a Certified Nurse's Aide at a long-term care facility (required 75 hours of training, state certification. Have been there since July and intend to stay through next August. I am one of our facility's most reliable employees and have recently been promoted to someone who may train new hires. I work approx. 35 hours a week, evenings and overnight shifts)
- Foreign Language Club (grades 9-11)
I also led the organization of this year's suicide prevention week, and for three years, have organized our community's child-safe trick-or-treating event. I am in charge of our school's Teacher Appreciation Week and was a religious education teacher and Communion coordinator as a freshman and sophomore.
My honors include a Scholastic Writing Silver Key and acceptance to University of Iowa's Belin-Blank National Scholar's Institute freshman and sophomore years (two subjects: creative writing and evolutionary developmental biology.)
I have high hopes for my personal essay regarding a challenge faced in my life. I was sexually assaulted when I was younger and I cannot imagine a more eye-opening experience that has defined me and my goals for the future. I have every intention of joining university efforts to spread awareness of campus rape and hope to make my past experiences into something positive for once.
I intend to study a double major of political science and psychology on the pre-law track.
Thank you so much if you actually read this!! If anyone could shed any light on my chances, that would be much appreciated!!