Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

"Those ECs are weak...."- So what's good?

WindCloudUltraWindCloudUltra Registered User Posts: 1,761 Senior Member
edited January 2014 in What Are My Chances?
These chances threads are often by nervous, scared, uninformed, brash and yet still very charming high schoolers (for the most part)....

The responses are by...college alum and current students?...equally uninformed high school peers?...random people on the internet?....well...who the heck knows?

Anyway, a response that I've seen many times is, "Your ECs are weak." This line seems to be used by both posters who are trying just to be funny/mean and those posters who are seriously trying to help. Hell, I've even used that line myself!

I've seen someone with 2 varsity sports for 3-4 years AND a demanding pt job AND 5 other things on their list get this response....(Not from me by the way; I've only used the line in worse case senarios.)

So my question for everyone is: What is a good list of ECs?
Post edited by WindCloudUltra on

Replies to: "Those ECs are weak...."- So what's good?

• dittogal88dittogal88 Registered User Posts: 481 Member
    in general, for schools like HYPSM, your extracurriculars are only as good as your scores...
  • NorthstarmomNorthstarmom Registered User Posts: 24,853 Senior Member
    I agree that if you hate an EC, don't do it.

Any EC can become an outstanding one if one devotes oneself to it passionately and with creativity, hard work and leadership. Most people, however, don't have that kind of passion, creativity or interest in their ECs or aren't willing to work that hard to do something with real impact.

Students who did the kind of ECs that I listed are students who were doing what they loved, and who also had a lot of talent, and energy and were willing to work hard in their ECs, which probably were their idea of fun even if the ECs seem like work to other people. If they made such EC accomplishments while also having high grades and scores, they also had organizational skills that are far above average, and they also were very bright.
  • madeinusa817madeinusa817 Registered User Posts: 132 Junior Member
    i agree with you there northstarmom, i think the earlier post of all the listings was misleading by providing a seemingly comprehensive list of acceptable ECs. the whole points of ECs is to show that you have interests outside of the class and you actually pursue them. i think the distinction between being president of a school club and being president of a national club is actually pretty small. sure, a handful of kids can do the latter, but doing the former shows something too if you really put effort into it.

how exactly does one make the move to becoming president of a national club? it doesn't strike me as the kind of thing you can just up and do. i mean, i was president of the school's young democrats as a freshman, and nobody ever alerted me to the fact that I could any more than put all my time into the club.
  • StrykurStrykur Registered User Posts: 1,759 Senior Member
    Well, I had 4 years of varsity swimming, plus all year swim with private clubs. Plus water polo during the summer, along with swimming, so my high school summers were basically 5-7 hours in the pool every weekday. Plus I fit in 240+ community service hours on the weekends every year with my high school mission group with my church. I had no academic ECs, just sports outside the classroom. I didn't think this was too much (in a list form this is only a few items), it's just how much time you put into the EC that matters I guess. 5:00 AM workouts for swim gave me some credit, I guess...
  • TetragrammatonTetragrammaton Registered User Posts: 392 Member
    Would it be out of place or unwelcome to ask about the value of a specific EC of mine?
  • yahoooyahooo Registered User Posts: 1,386 Senior Member
    For an "Outstanding EC", does one have to win national awards, be nationally recogized, play at Carnegie Hall...etc? How about things in the local/community level?
This discussion has been closed.