Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

can more graduated seniors do "actual results" threads?

Replies to: can more graduated seniors do "actual results" threads?

• armadaswimarmadaswim Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
    High School Class of 2016:
    Accepted: UCB, UCLA, UCSD, UCSB, UCD, UCI, UCR, Boston College, Pepperdine
    Waitlisted: CMC, Carnegie Mellon
    Rejected: USC, NYU

Major: Business Economics/Business Administration

GPA: 4.6-4.7 (top 10% at a competitive CA high school) - only 1 B, the rest A's
    SAT: 2200 (670 CR, 730 MA, 800 WR)
    Asian male (disadvantage for sure)
    Took 11 AP/IB Courses

EC's:
    Varsity swim for four years
    FBLA awards at sections and state
    150 hour human resources internship
    2016 executive business manager of school newspaper
    swim team captain my senior year
    principal honor roll
    secretary of peer tutoring club
    there's probably more but I don't remember the minor details

Just thought i would share here
  • skilletfaithskilletfaith Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Not Graduated yet, but I am a senior with results.
    Early Decision to Northwestern: Accepted (will attend pending financial aid award).

White Female (straight)
    Low-income, single parent home
    Declaring Neuroscience Major with intention to double major in Neuroscience and Cognitive Science, with a possible minor in music theory (I want to study how music interacts with the brain)

4.0 unweighted GPA, 4.345 weighted GPA (13/434--Last full time music kid in the top 3%)
    Rigorous schedule with a few discrepancies--I've chosen music and AP science classes over AP History classes (US History or Human Geography), instead electing to take regular US History and World History as online classes in the summer. I intend to defend this choice in the supplemental information section. I also chose music in place of taking French 4 junior year. Music also interferes with both AP Chem and AP Physics, so I've taken neither (my school works on block scheduling making scheduling music kids difficult). Other than those, I've actually run out of honors classes to take at my school.

APs (sophomore and junior year): Biology (4), Language and Composition (5), Psychology (5), Statistics (5)
    APs (senior year): Literature, Macroeconomics, Government and Politics, Calculus BC

Extracurriculars (school):
    Science Olympiad: Multiple time state champion, three-time national competitor, officer
    Theatre: Many shows cast and crew, known as the "mistress of the mics"
    Choir: Three-year member of Varsity Concert Choir and Chamber Choir (select choir of varsity), made Nebraska All-State choir
    Band: Mellophone/French Horn Section Leader, three-year member of Varsity Concert Band and Jazz Band. Played in varsity ensembles on five instruments (trumpet, mellophone, french horn, trombone, bari sax)
    Math Club: three-year University Math Day competitor

Extracurriculars (outside of school):
    Part time job since the summer after sophomore year: I am a waitress at a nursing home and love every minute of it. (apprx. 10-15 hrs/week)
    Church leader: Leading sixth-grade girls midweek Bible study, Sunday School leader substitute
    Girl Scouts: Until sophomore year? I was a Senior and got my Bronze award...and possibly my Silver. It got confusing toward the end.

Standardized Tests:
    ACT: Composite - 34, English - 35, Math - 34, Reading - 34, Science - 34
    SAT (new) (superscored, which Northwestern does for SAT): 1540, Math - 770, Reading - 770
    Did not take SAT II

National Merit Semifinalist

My essay is about the ways that music helped me when I was going through some serious medical problems. My English teacher loved it so hopefully it was good?
  • cdhxyxcdhxyx Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    Current Senior

Accepted: Illinois, Michigan State, Northwestern
    Deferred: UChicago
    School Type: Large Public
    Hooks: not really
    Prospective Major: Physics
    GPA: 3.96/4 UW
    Class rank: 8/500
    ACT: 36
    SAT: 1530, 800 on chem and SAT II
    Extracurricular Info:
    Track, band, quiz bowl
    Awards:
    national merit semifinalist
    AP Scholar
    state chemistry competition

I'd recommend to apply to a wide range of schools because if you're white/male/asian you probably won't get in to many top schools no matter how good your test scores are.
  • reformedmanreformedman Registered User Posts: 311 Member
    edited January 18
    @philbegas I agree with you. #2115
    The people posting acceptances/rejections to HYP, brown, columbia, cornell, dart, penn, mit, stanford is pretty useless because scores aren't the determining factor; for these schools it's more about ec's and essays. That's something that can't be helpfully transmitted in this venue. There's no way that reading about a student with 13 years of piano, or an eagle scout will be of any help to students that are recent to these forums and are researching how to get admitted to schools which is an extremely high percentage of everyone here.

For medium and low level schools, tests scores and schools applied-to are the most important and helpful part of this thread. Don't get me wrong, it's also great entertainment seeing how superhuman students get rejected and other not so superhuman get accepted.

So I agree with you that with medium level schools where scores matter in larger part, it is more helpful to get a grasp at our chances and whether we should consider retaking our SATs or applying to a few other schools which weren't in our previous perview.
  • joedoejoedoe Registered User Posts: 188 Junior Member
    edited January 27
    Just thought I'd pitch this (really late though).

Currently attending: Rensselaer (RPI).
    Accepted: NYU, Case Western Reserve University, RPI, Stony Brook, Binghamton, UMass, Purdue.
    Waitlisted: UMichigan.
    Rejected: Georgia Tech, Cornell.

Scholarship results:

47k/49k for tuition at RPI (expected to dorm)
    53/49k (I think) for tuition at CWRU
    42k/49k at NYU (wasn't going to dorm)
    16k/29k at Purdue
    All others: fully ride including dorm.

White Male
    Computer Engineering Major

4.0 weighted GPA, top 15% in graduating class.
    AP World History (4)
    AP United States History (4)
    AP English Lang (4)
    AP Chemistry (4)
    AP Calc AB (4)
    AP CS (5)
    AP Human Geo (5)
    AP Literature (4)

Dual enrollment: took three courses part-time at my local community college. One was science, one was sociology, one was computer science. Got A's in all of them.

SAT I:
    Math - 690, Reading - 660, Writing - 770.

SAT II:
    Chemistry: 730
    US: 770
    Math II: 690 (meh)

ACT:
    Overall: 31
    English: 34
    Reading: 29
    Math: 30
    Science: 32

Extracurriculars (school):
    Science Olympiad - regional & states (senior year) - top 10 in regionals.
    Men's Choir - sang at Yale, participated in state competitions.
    Programming Club - attented hackathons, etc. in NYC. Taught kids how to program. Started club in freshman year.
    Tech Squad- fixed computers, took over in Junior year.
    Children's Hospital - spent 200 hours volunteering.
    Outside Work - worked part time while in high-school.
    Internship at Fortune 500 during junior year of high school, internship at educational data analytics startup in senior year.
  • blackkitteycatblackkitteycat Registered User Posts: 265 Junior Member
    High School Class of 2017

White Female
    Environmental Science Major

Accepted: Northern Arizona University, University of Montana, Florida Atlantic University, Western Washington University, West Texas A&M, University of North Texas, Texas State, University of Denver
    Denied: UT Austin
    Plan: Community College for one year, transfer to WWU or University of Washington

GPA: 3.4/4.4 , top 25%

AP World(4)
    AP Euro(4)
    APUSH(4)
    AP Lang(4)
    AP Lit
    AP Government
    AP Econ
    AP Enviro
    AP Bio

SAT:

Total Score: 1270
    Reading/Writing: 710
    Math: 560

Extracurriculars:
    Theatre- 4 years(9/10 hours a week)
    Dance- 3 years(7 hours a week)
    Musical Theatre- 1 year(6 hours a week)
    Colorguard- 1 year(30-40 hours a week)
    National Forensics League- OO and DI(9 hours a week)

Volunteer hours- 60
    30- helping run debate tournament
    20- animal shelter
    10- volunteer at local elementary school

Work Experience
    Summer camp counselor- 3 months
    Preschool Gymnastics coach- Aug- present

Overall, I had a really bad freshman year. The transition to high school was rough for me, and I was in the colorguard, so I wasn't getting home until 8 or 9 every night. I had a strong upward trend, though. In the end, I decided to go to the local community college, because they accepted all my AP Courses as credits, so I only need 10 classes to get my associates.
  • flravvvflravvv Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    cdhxyx, why do you think you got deferred from UChicago? that's my dream school, and your scores were really good.
  • CS WizCS Wiz Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    That is racist
    @flravvv

Probably the essays. My test scores and extracurricular activities were definitely really good, but my essays were kind of average. I answered the questions and definitely showed my creativity and sense of humor, but it was nothing that would have blown them away. Writing essays isn't really my strong suit. But what I would recommend is start writing your essays the summer after junior year. I started in August or September, but starting earlier would definitely help.

The other reason I think I was deferred is because I don't fit the mold they are looking for. A school like UChicago wants a very diverse group of applicants, not just a bunch of students with perfect test scores. These schools have plenty of overqualified applicants, so I would recommend applying to multiple other schools to increase your odds.
    @OneTimeOnly1

Yeah I agree with you mostly. I'm just saying that if you are Asian or White, you are in a group that is at a disadvantage in terms of acceptance to very selective colleges. Even if their test scores and grades are above average and they are very involved in their communities, they should apply to multiple schools, because acceptance is definitely not a guarantee. Schools have to fill their quotas.
  • latinvibeslatinvibes Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    @cdhxyx Being white or Asian is not a disadvantage in the admissions process. I agree wholeheartedly with @RustandStardst . Statistically, you're more likely to attend college in the US (more so if it's an elite university) if you're white and/or Asian than if you are black or latino because the representation is so high; probably because the (general) culture surrounding going to college for the latter is not (generally) seen as an expectation. Whites and asians do not (generally) experience the same systematic disadvantages that blacks and latinos (generally) do.

Conversely, blacks and latinos don't get into college because of their ethnicity. In fact, it could be argued that their ethnicity (generally) puts them at a disadvantage. Less blacks and Latinos apply to elite schools in the first place
  • vzee1105vzee1105 Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    @patriotsfan1 hi, u mentioned that u were waitlisted at northeastern and I was wondering if u eventually got accepted?
  • vzee1105vzee1105 Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    Hi @kyliexrae NEU and NYU are amongst my top choices. I was wondering if u got deferred from NEU bc that happened to me and I have lower test scores than you. I'm trying to find a trend in deferrals so I can enjoy most of my spring break without worrying too much bc the wait for results is just way to agonizing. I'd really appreciate it if u could tell me what u think about my stats and chance for NEU based on your experience. Thanks!
    Sat: 1910/2400 on old (each component around 630 but I don't remember exactly) 1390/1600 on new
    Act: 28 but didn't send
    AP: hgap 3, whap 4, us history 3, Chinese 5, bio 4
    Gpa: 3.8 uw
    Ec: 200 hours volunteering through key club and interact club. Placed 2nd and 3rd at Future Business Leaders of America regional level competition for jr and sr year. In a small cultures club at school, choir for freshman year
    Work: 3 years as a restaurant hostess, 8 months as sales for retail
    Other: first generation, Chinese female, interesting childhood environment (grew up in a family restaurant, almost literally), my senior year is a downhill (taking way too many chill classes and a free period to go home early), applied international business