Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

can more graduated seniors do "actual results" threads?

1140141142143144146»

Replies to: can more graduated seniors do "actual results" threads?

• fizzyizzy99fizzyizzy99 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Class of 2017

I’m uploading this because I want to show that it’s possible to be a normal high schooler, and still get into good schools.

Accepted: Haverford (Attending), William and Mary, Oberlin (20k/yr merit scholarship), Skidmore, Muhlenberg, Binghamton, Earlham (EA, 27k/yr merit), Lafayette, Bard
    Note: recieved merit scholarships at at least one other school, but don’t remember the exact details rn)

Rejected: Tufts, UVa, Wesleyan (ED)

Guaranteed Transfer: Boston University (turned down offer), Cornell ILR (Like, 95% sure will not actually use)

I also started a lot of applications that I didn't end up finishing/sending in.

Objective:

SAT I- (first) 1390 (730 V, 660 M), (second) 1420 (740 V, 680 M).
    SAT II- 760 Literature, 700 US History- only sent to Tufts, taken very last minute
    ACT: N/A
    Unweighted GPA: N/A
    Weighted: 92/100, showed upward trend through Jr and Sr yr
    AP: Pre senior yr: WHAP (4), USH (5), English Lang and Comp (5)
    IB: N/A
    Senior year courseload: AP Lit, AP Stats, AP GOPO, AP Psych, AP Japanese, Piano, Guitar, Music Technology, and of course, gym/health
    Awards: AP Scholar, Honor Roll (freshman year)

Subjective:

Extra-Curriculars: Mostly concentrated around music. Had several freshman year, but tapered off.
    Essays: Great. Common app essay was about my ethnicity.
    Recs: No idea.
    Interviews: excellent at Haverford and Earlham, really good at Muhlenberg, not that great at Tufts, and laughably awful at Barnard. Funny thing is, my interviewer and I wore almost the exact same outfit.

Others:
    School: NYC public performing arts school
    Race/ethnicity: white/afro-caribbean
    Sex: f
    Prospective major: History
    Did not apply for financial aid

Notes: I wasn’t really dedicated to studying for my SATs, and we decided to focus on my essays, which I think was a smart decision.
    For rising sr/jr/whoever: If you have any extenuating circumstances (I’ve had major health issues my entire high school career), make sure you write about them somewhere in your application. Also, liberal arts schools are super underrated, and shouldn’t be discounted. They’re filled with really awesome people, and are known for their excellent undergraduate teaching. Finally, make sure you visit schools, especially if you live relatively close. It shows the school that you are actually interested, it helps you write your supplements, and it allows you to cross some schools off of your list, or add others you weren’t sure of. I thought I would love Barnard and Conn College (spoiler: I didn’t), and I fell in love with Wesleyan and Haverford from visiting them and meeting students.
    Last (for real): It sucks to get rejected from your ED school, but it will be fine. For me, personally, I think that the school I am going to is a better fit than where I applied ED.
  • rkelly5182rkelly5182 Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    Son went to Georgia Tech and loved it. Ranked #4 in Engineering, amazing facilities, so right up there with MIT, Cal TEch, Berkeley and Stanford (tied #4 with Cal Tech). Have a great time.
  • angiepieangiepie Registered User Posts: 108 Junior Member
    edited August 5
    College advice from a rising college Sophomore at the bottom.

Accepted:
    -University of California-Santa Barbara (attending)
    -University of Southern California (had a recommendation letter from a USC Board Member)
    -Barnard College
    -Boston University
    -University of Washington
    -University of California-Santa Cruz

Waitlisted:
    -Tulane University

Rejected:
    -Stanford University
    -Harvard University
    -Columbia University
    -University of California-Los Angeles
    -University of California-San Diego
    -University of California-Davis
    -Emory University

Major:
    -Biochemistry
    If this option was not available, I chose Chemistry

Objective:
    SAT I: 2110/2400 740 Math, 710 English, 660 Writing
    ACT: 30 I forgot the breakdown
    SAT II (place score in parentheses): Literature (720), Math I (720), Math II (760), Chemistry (760)
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.5
    Weighted UC GPA 3.9

AP (place score in parentheses): Chemistry (3), Literature (3), Macroeconomics (4), Microeconomics (4), AB Calculus (4), Statistics (5)

Senior Year Course Load: AP Calculus AB, AP Statistics, Spanish 4, AT Biology Honors, AP Economics, Senior Level English

Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Didn't really get any...
    - World History Student Award
    - Varsity Basketball: Most Improved Award
    - 2-Time Sectional Basketball Champion

Subjective:
    Extracurriculars:
    -Founder/President of Diversity Club
    -President of Anime Club
    -4 years of Basketball. 3 years on varsity

Job/Work Experience:
    -2 years of working as a Library Assistant

Volunteer/Community Service:
    -I volunteer at the Red Cross Blood Services every weekend
    -I took a 3-week, volunteer, reforestation trip to Guatemala last summer

Essays (rating 1-10, details): 8/9 for my Common App Essays. My essays to Barnard were really good, probably the main reason I got in. USC essays were also good. Didn't put any thought into Ivy League essays.

Other
    Applied for Financial Aid? Yes. Got absolutely nada from every school. I did get a $40,000 scholarship from my private high school. Split up into $10,000 every year.
    State (if domestic applicant): CA
    School Type: Private (one of the best private schools in CA). 18% Acceptance Rate.
    Ethnicity: Black (Nigerian)
    Income Bracket: ~$400k
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): Black, Nigerian-Immigrant, STEM major (not many black people in STEM :/ )

Reflection
    Strengths: Essays, Test Scores, ECs
    Weaknesses: GPA
    Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected:
    GPA, especially for UCs. Most private schools took into consideration the fact that I went to a selective private school. UCs don't care.
    General Comments/Advice/Hindsight:
    PLEASE READ!!!
    I was really upset when my parents didn't let me go to USC which had been my dream school or Barnard College which was a close second. But they said they were too expensive. I thought it was really selfish of my parents to not pay for a school that they could obviously afford. I cried for weeks and I didn't eat properly for over a month to the point where I had lost almost 10 pounds. But UCSB was a close third, especially after I went to their Open House. I waived out of healthcare and with my $10,000/yr scholarship, my parents only pay $21,000 which is definitely manageable with their income.

I absolutely love UCSB. The academic course load is definitely manageable, much easier than it was at my high school. After 5 years at my high school, working so hard for mediocre grades, I can finally relax. I have a 3.7 GPA at UCSB without having to kill myself for it. I have a social life, I've joined a lot of clubs, and I'm on a rowing team that I absolutely love. The campus is gorgeous, right by the beach. It's 70 degrees all year round.

If I had gone to USC, I would have been proud of myself. I would have bragged about the prestige. I would have been happy but not nearly as happy as I am now. I spent almost 3 years on this site, obsessing over every little part of my application, and I really do regret it. I admit I'm contributing to the problem here by posting my results, but I'm also hoping that some high schooler will reach this part and realize that in the end it'll be okay. The bittersweet truth is that you deserve to be where you end up. If you aspire to attend a college that you get rejected to, the truth is you would have been miserable there anyways. You would have spent the next 4 years struggling to keep your grades up, maybe like your doing right now. Adulthood is going to hit you the second you graduate college, so spend the next 4 years somewhere where you'll be happy.
  • PoliticsrulePoliticsrule Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    "You would have spent the next 4 years struggling to keep your grades up, maybe like your doing right now."

I mean this isn't really true. Geniuses get rejected from challenging schools all the time.
  • PoliticsrulePoliticsrule Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    Sweet, though...lol by the way, I am not a genius and do not think I am one ^haha
  • CU123CU123 Registered User Posts: 937 Member
    Accepted: UChicago (attending)

Deferred SCEA: Harvard (applied ED2 to UChicago so pulled application to Harvard and others)

Objective:
    ACT 34 (35E, 35R, 34S, 31M)
    UWGPA: 4.0
    WGPA: 4.38
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): Top 5%
    AP/IB (place score in parentheses): APUSH (5), AP Lang (5). AP Calc BC (5). AP Chem (3). AP Bio (5). AP EuroH (5) AP Psych (5), AP Lit (4)

Senior year course load:
    AP Bio
    AP Calc BC
    AP Psyc
    AP Lit
    DifEq
    StuCo
    Physics

Awards:
    - AP Scholar with Distinction
    - Honor roll, NHS, etc.

Extracurriculars (exactly what is on my Common App):
    - Cheerleader 4 years varsity
    - Golf 2 years varsity
    - Student Council - Secretary, at large,all 4 years
    - Tutor
    - Library volunteer
    - other volunteer activities

Recommendations:
    Outstanding

Essays:
    Very good-worked on for several weeks

Other:
    U.S. State/Territory or Country: Colorado
    School Type: Medium public 320 in senior class
    Ethnicity: White
    Income Bracket Range: Some FA
    Hooks (URM, first generation, recruited athlete, development):

Strengths: Recs/Essays
    Weaknesses: EC's
    Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: I think the interview helped me as well as the recommendations!
    What would you have done differently?: Nothing. Uchicago was first choice but Harvard was 1B so I went with SCEA to Harvard and ED2 to UChicago to maximize my chances at both. Would have been perfectly happy at either.