Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use the following form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CCSearchSurvey

How to improve the chances of chances threads?

14567810»

Replies to: How to improve the chances of chances threads?

• WoanderingWoandering Registered User Posts: 2,292 Senior Member
    I just want to say that everyone should keep their chance college lists short. Pick a few favorites from each category of reach, match, and safety. If you're just asking chances for HYPSM and the top ten liberal arts, what answer would you expect? I hate having to write 'reaches for all,' because that's true for everyone. And I hate having to copy the whole list.
  • MikalyeMikalye Registered User Posts: 1,337 Senior Member
    The one thing that always seems to be missing from chance threads is the school profile. If you did 8 AP courses out of the 9 that your school offered, that means something very different than if you did 8 AP courses out of the 27 that your school offered. Without knowing the school, you cannot possibly understand what your academic accomplishments mean.
  • OsserpusserOsserpusser Registered User Posts: 322 Member
    edited December 2014
    All I ask is that anyone asking for a chance be reasonable. I also don't often answer these threads, because OPs can get so defensive. I'm happy to help shape lists (helping define or add/subtract reach, match, safety). Just worked with one student this week who was lovely and thankful.

But when they have a 25 ACT (but my math was a 35!) and they are working on their Yale essay (as I just literally read) and looking for other "Top" schools to get chanced at, there's nothing I'm going to do to change their mind that applying to the ivies is a bad idea.

It's worse internationally. I think there should be a immediate steps taken here to educate those kids how applications and educational tiers work here, especially "Top" and "Ivy." It's actually sad to read how many kids think they have a shot, or whose parents are pushing them towards prestigious schools they have no business applying to. They are just set up for rejection.

I agree that all chance me threads should be eliminated. But since they won't, there should be a caveat in the forum that they need to list at least one school in each category (safety/match/reach). When all they want to talk about is Ivies, it's a setup for contentiousness on both sides.
  • GinGin000GinGin000 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Too much information is listing every single club you've ever joined or attended.
  • mommaknowsbestmommaknowsbest Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    @Student615 , I would agree with all your points except for the one about how you shouldn't post before the end of your junior year. I think sophomores wanting to know their chances based of a hypothetical year is important because they actually have the time to change course and improve. If they want to attend a certain school and they clearly are not doing enough to increase their chances according to the advice on the forum, they have the opportunity to do better since they've been told to do so if they want to get into that particular school. Does that make sense?

Otherwise, the what are my chances threads only serve one purpose: calming anxious seniors.
  • saberchildsaberchild Registered User Posts: 75 Junior Member
    I think it's kind of ironic that threads with schools like HYPSM (that have pretty much the same "reach for anyone" response) get less attention than those with higher admit rates that might have meaningful responses.

At the same time it does make sense. Someone is more likely to know the standards of an "ivy-level" (I usually cringe at the term, but it's pretty appropriate here TBH) school than they are, say, Kenyon college.

Still, pretty annoying for those of us who are asking for realistic results.
14567810»
This discussion has been closed.