Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

How to improve the chances of chances threads?

tokenadulttokenadult Super Moderator Posts: 17,472 Super Moderator
edited January 2014 in What Are My Chances?
Hi, everyone,

I'm wondering what tips you have for students who are posting "What are my chances?" threads. What kind of information helps a student get a helpful answer? How much information is TOO MUCH information? (Some students later regret posting personal information that allows them to be identified in real life.) What makes a chances thread interesting to read? What makes a chances thread funny and encouraging? What makes a good reply to a chances thread?

I figure you regular readers of this forum have a lot of good ideas on this subject. Sharing with the new participants may help everyone enjoy the threads more.

P.S. Good luck to all of you applying this year. Please let us know whether or not you exceeded the chances predictions you received in replies to your own threads.
Post edited by tokenadult on

Replies to: How to improve the chances of chances threads?

• HalieHalie Registered User Posts: 575 Member
    Too much information is listing every single club you've ever joined or attended. Only note clubs if you're an officer.
  • tokenadulttokenadult Super Moderator Posts: 17,472 Super Moderator
    Thanks for the helpful replies. There is a lot of good advice here.
  • JohnC613JohnC613 Registered User Posts: 1,580 Senior Member
    don't come off as conceited (OP) or condescending (repliers)
    I generally don't read chance me's by juniors.
    If you chance someone, don't put yourself into it/use it as a chance to brag about yourself. "well, consider I'm applying and got a 2300, you're 2200 will hurt"
    Thanks for the further comments. This forum will be more useful for the students who follow these tips.
  • blqgirlblqgirl Registered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
    Right on, faustarp.
  • Student615Student615 Registered User Posts: 1,885 Senior Member
    Also, if you have a 4.0, 2300+ SAT, and a slew of extracurriculars, you don't need a chances thread-- you know you have a decent shot anywhere.

So true. In many cases, the type of schools that these students are applying to have unpredictable admissions anyway. Unless circumstances are exceptional or you're looking for advice on your list, there's just no point. I do think it's fine for a student with high stats like these to ask for advice or suggestions, i.e. "I love my safety, but I'm overqualified and I know that some schools tend to dislike this. Does anyone know if this school has a reputation for doing so, or have suggestions of similar safety schools?" That's no problem in my eyes, but "I have a good GPA, good scores, and good other stuff. Can you chance me for every Ivy? ...bump...bump...bump" is not going to garner a lot of helpful info.

Finally, I originally neglected the OP's question about what makes a good reply to a chances thread. A few thoughts:

- Be considerate and polite. Be honest, but be reasonable. Remember that there's someone (a 16-18 year old, at that) on the other end of the thread. If something reads strangely, try to give the benefit of the doubt and ask for clarification.

- When possible, expand on your reply (either after each prediction or just once overall) rather than leaving it at simply "accepted/rejected" or "safety/match/reach." Is there a particular weakness in the applicant's profile that makes you think every school will be a reach? Is there something the applicant might be able to do or re-frame in order to better her chances? Is the applicant lacking a true safety, or could she be shooting higher?

- Don't hesitate to address the positive!

- Consider saying a little something about where your opinions are coming from. It could be as simple as prefacing your predictions with "Based on numbers alone..." or it could be more anecdotal, like "I used the same safety, but was rejected even with high stats. I don't know if they have a reputation for this, but be careful."

- Pet peeve here: please don't write out "REJECTED" in all caps (as in "School A: Probably accepted; School B: Accepted; School C: REJECTED). It's just not nice.
    Yes, being nice always helps the replies.
  • ticklemepinkticklemepink Registered User Posts: 2,764 Senior Member
    I absolutely agree with the posters about "hypothetical" situations.

The other reasons why I don't read "Chance Me!" threads is that there is just TOO much stuff to digest- honestly, try to put down things that truly makes you stand out- leadership, employment, special honors/awards, passions, etc.

I don't like to see a laundry list of APs- I don't want to know every single AP you've taken but if you're strong in a particular area and major in that- list any relevant APs (You want to major in English, I expect to see AP Lit, and/or AP Language) so I know that you're going in the right direction. But at least list how many APs you've taken and perhaps if you know, how many your school offers.

Don't need to say "GREAT recommendations"- we all konw how fabulous you are so we'll assume that your teachers know how great you are and as discussed in another thread elsewhere, they're not AS important as your transcript and SAT/ACT scores.

Thanks for the thread- if posters can follow some of the suggestions, I'd be happy to actually read them :)
  • Wneckid99Wneckid99 Registered User Posts: 925 Member
    student615 is completely right. dont do chances unless you have TAKEN the SATs or ACTs
  • AlumotherAlumother Registered User Posts: 6,230 Senior Member
    Tell the same story in your chances thread that you want the admins to see. Give the GPA, weighted and unweighted. Tell us the level of difficulty of your courses. Tell us what you are taking senior year. Synthesize your activities. List your awards succintly. Then summarize - if your reaches accept you, why? Why will they do that?

Then we can help you assess your understanding.
  • lita444153lita444153 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    exactly, this will help
  • NewEngSocSciManNewEngSocSciMan Registered User Posts: 790 Member
    Another suggestion for posters is to give the selectivity of your high school, as well as how other students from that high school do. By this, I mean that those who respond to chances threads ought to have some idea of the context of your high school.
This discussion has been closed.