Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Where can I get in with a 3.4 weighted GPA?

pc083pc083 Posts: 12Registered User New Member
edited October 2008 in What Are My Chances?
Can I get into UVA, W&M, Virginia Tech, VCU and JMU with a 3.4 GPA?
This low GPA is due to the Cs that I got in a highly accelerated (magnet) middle school where I took high school credits and did not expunge them. However, once I got to high school, I have been consistently getting As with a few Bs in between (my GPA as I entered high school form 8th grade was a 2.5, horrendous I know). I have played varsity tennis for my school since freshman year and my ranking has consistently been in the top 4 on the team (and hoping to be the captain in spring this year). I have taken all the AP classes offered, including Calculus BC and Statistics. Also I have over 500 volunteer hours from hospitals and libraries. I also have excellent teacher recommendations. I am a year younger than the rest of my graduating class (I will be graduating when I am 16). My SAT scores are 2150 and 1450 out of 1600. I am attending a a special academy for students interested in being in the health field. I was wondering how good of a chance I stand in getting admitted into the biology or biomedical engineering (premed) programs at uva, tech, w&m, jmu, and vcu
Post edited by pc083 on

Replies to: Where can I get in with a 3.4 weighted GPA?

• VASkinsFan08VASkinsFan08 Posts: 118Registered User Junior Member
    UVA and W/M, probably not, but your SAT will help you. VT and JMU you have a very solid shot at, VCU is a guarantee
  • pc083pc083 Posts: 12Registered User New Member
    cool but isnt vcu biomedical engineering harder to get into than the regular vcu
  • cc3ccc3c Posts: 796Registered User Member
    what is it unweighted?
  • pensive123pensive123 Posts: 144Registered User Junior Member
    Who says your GPA is 3.4?

My d entered high school with 2 P's, one for alg 1 and geom, and took alg 2 in 9th grade. I suppose this did affect her GPA, but somehow I doubt that colleges will hold that against her that her middle school grades are P's on her high school record. In fact, I would think they would be ijmpressed that you took courses in middle school and got high school credit for them. It's my understanding that colleges re-calculate your GPA when they get your transcript.

Sure you want to apply to VCU? You are way over-qualified for that one, I can assure you.

I would think you have a good chance for admission to all of them, given that you are in-state.
    unweighted is like 3.3. well im thinking vcu because of its reputable alliance with the medical college of virginia. plus vcu has an honors college that i visited and liked , and yea im in state.
  • Justsomeguy99Justsomeguy99 Posts: 49Registered User Junior Member
    Community College.

I kid, I kid. VCU and VTech are possible matches, UVA and W&M are reaches, VCU should be a safety.

Chance me as well. http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/580933-low-gpa-no-chance-all.html Low GPA too, so I guess we're in the same boat. :)
    ha yea man i guess we are . at least our sats are somewhat high you know
    for the personal statement for virginia tech, should i explain why my cumm. gpa is low and how i graduate before everyone else, or what?
  • gabzillagabzilla Posts: 53Registered User Junior Member
    I'm not quite sure what you mean about your GPA because colleges only look at 10th-12th and some include 9th.
  • PolihistPolihist Posts: 315Registered User Junior Member
    OP, try ODU as well. VCU is one of my top choices and we're both in the same situation though my gpa is a little higher than yours. Let me know what happens in the spring!
    sounds good. what major are you trying out for thouth?? im doing biology or biomedical engineering
    gpa is cummulative grade point average. its taken by averaging all the high school credits that youve taken. so i took some in middle school and got Cs in them .so when i entered high school it was a 2.5 . and now after lots of AP classes, its a 3.4 as im applying for colleges.
    Im either going for history or political science(hence the username lol). Afterwards I will either go to graduate school or law school depending on where my interests rest by the time of graduation.
    cool haha. whats the gpa that ur applying to college with??
    right now its around a 3.4-3.5 something. I dont know what my new one is so far since i have a 4.02 this year.

which school is your top choice?