Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Mediocre Grades, Great(?) Scores

ScaldingHotSoupScaldingHotSoup Posts: 100Registered User Junior Member
edited January 2010 in What Are My Chances?
Alright, Looks like I'm making another thread because the last one failed. pleasepleaseplease chance, especially on the second half of my list.

Me:
Mixed Japanese American Male

Scores:
3.15 GPA (4.2 last quarter, though, and I'm emphasizing that on recs, the essay, and the "anything else you'd like to explain" part). I've taken four APs and all honors/scholarship courses. My high school is pretty competitive for a public school, but nothing outstanding.

SAT (top scores from two tests)
CR: 800
Math: 690
Writing: 650

ACT
32, 35 subscore for Science and 34 subscore for reading. Math at 28, which is what dropped me.

780 Biology E Subject test
720 US History Subject test

5's on Biology and US History AP tests.

EC's/Volunteering
Over 300 hours leading a group of teenagers into the local nature preserve to help eradicate invasive species

4 years in a very competitive marching band, Saxophone Music Leader my senior year (20 kids in my section)
Jazz Band 4 years, 3 in the top band
Pep Band 4 years (not a big deal for me but I added it)
9 years lessons in Flute and Piano

Science Bowl team 3 years (two on Varsity)
Envirothon 3 years (two on Varsity, last year we made 3rd in our region, 14th in the state (or something like that)

13 years as a Judoka (martial art), Assistant instructor and Brown belt.
5 years on the local summer swim team

Recs: Ridiculously awesome from people that know me from everywhere.

Essays: They're pretty good and focus on my improvement from getting mostly B's to mostly A's. (I don't phrase it like that, though)

Colleges I'm applying to:
University of Dayton
Ohio State University
Earlham College
Ohio University
Bowling Green State University

(those five I'm fairly certain I can get into, it's the next ones I'm more worried about)

Syracuse University (legacy: Grandfather)
Binghamton University (legacy: both grandparents and five uncles and aunts (not sure if they count))
SUNY Stony Brook
Case Western Reserve University
Denison University

Please chance me, and if you could recommend other colleges similar to the last five, I would be eternally grateful.
Post edited by ScaldingHotSoup on

Replies to: Mediocre Grades, Great(?) Scores