Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Chance for Claremont Colleges...

nickgeebanickgeeba Posts: 107Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2009 in What Are My Chances?
I'm from Illinois and LOVE the Claremont Colleges (I visited last spring). I'm applying RD to Pomona, Pitzer, and CMC. As far as I can surmise, I'm in that "crap-shoot" area for all 3, so I've been frantically searching for backups to apply to. If anyone can give me a more concrete chance for any/ all of the CC's I'm applying to I'd be grateful, it would really help if I knew if I should relax a bit or really seek out a safety. Also, if you have any school in mind like the Claremonts (interdisciplinary studies, intelligent kids who know how to have fun, discussion based classes, not-tiny campus), suggestions would be nice. Thanks!

ACADEMICS
-schedule of all honors (frosh/soph) and AP (soph/jun/sen). seminar only half junior year plus all senior year
-scores: Euro=4; Lit&Comp=3 (possibly retaking this year); Physics=5; U.S.=4
--this year I'm taking AP...Chem, Macroeconomics, American Govt, Lang&Comp, Spanish and Calc BC
-GPA: weighted = 4.83 unweighted = 3.87
-class rank: weighted = 10/516 (1.9%) unweighted = 28/516 (5.3%)
-ACT= 34
-SAT II
--Math 2 = 760
--Physics = 720
--U.S. History = 690

EC's
-I skateboard just as much as Varsity team players practice/ play
-IM basketball (11,12)
-Photo Club (9, 10)
-Theater Guides (9,10)
-in my school's presidential debate (11)
-Student Congress (12)
-STAND Anti-Genocide Coalition (11, 12)
-NHS (12)
-Boy Scouts (K-12), holding positions of Troop Bugler and Troop Scribe at different times
-internship at Fermilab over summer. wrote my short answer on commonapp about it
-Peer Mediator (12, it's the program's first year at my school)
-Hawk HOOKS [we run monthly schoolwide activites to strengthen the sense of community, it's based on Rachel's Challenge] (12, also just started this year at my school)

AWARDS
-High Honor Roll (highest ranking given) = every semester
-Medella de Bronce in National Spanish Exam (10)
-National Merit Commended Student
-Eagle Scout
-expecting to be National AP Scholar
-Illinois State Scholar

WRITING
-very strong writer
-my counselor always seems impressed by me, so i'm also hoping for a boost from her recommendation letter
-GREAT rec letters from teachers

INTERVIEWS
-alum interview scheduled for Pitzer and CMC, which I'm hoping will help me a bit
-Pomona... I missed the deadline, but I actually emailed the Assistant Dean of Admissions about it and got a response that said it really isn't a big deal, especially since I'm out-of-state.

VISIT/ INTEREST
-I visited for almost a week last spring and did as much as I could in my time there (tours, sat in on a class, hungout on campus, saw a guest speaker...). I'm doing my best to make it clear that they are my top picks.
Post edited by nickgeeba on

Replies to: Chance for Claremont Colleges...